Re: avian invasion - PIJA and LEWO

  • Don Roberson
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2003
      JCS and others are correct to add ACORN WOODPECKER to the list of
      invaders to odd places. Locally in MTY, I would note that these
      woodpeckers were in exceptional numbers at both Chews Ridge and Cone
      Peak over the last week. I had attributed that simply to good local
      hatches but perhaps numbers are more attributable to birds moving
      upslope or from well outside MTY.

      A number of observers have sent me additional records of LEWO from SCZ
      to MRN, and various ACWO from S.F. City to the Farallones, so clear
      something major is going on. Forwarded below is more interesting
      information from SLO and SBA.

      I am not particularly compiling records but, rather, wished to alert all
      to the movements underway. Regular posting on local chat lines would be
      appropriate, and occasional summaries to this State service.

      Cheers,
      Don Roberson

    • Don Roberson
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2003
        Sorry, the attempt to tack this info from SBA and SLO failed the first
        time. Here is it. D. Roberson

        "Mark Holmgren of UC Santa Barbara had 19 Lewis's Woodpeckers September
        27
        and 1 today.

        "I'm not sure if I'm reporting on bird migration or insect swarms here,
        but on Figueroa Mtn. and Ranger Peaks this Saturday, 27 Sept 03, I and
        two friends, Galen Pittman and David Seibel, both Kansas birders, drove
        to Figueroa Mtn where we saw two interesting bird behaviors. First, we
        witnessed more Lewis' Woodpeckers than I have ever seen previously in
        one day. We watched no fewer than 7 woodpeckers over the Pino Alto Camp
        at Figueroa. All were flying NW. Then at Ranger Peak we watched at
        least 8 Lewis' Woodpeckers beneath the canopy of oak trees. 4 more LeWo
        were seen elsewhere near these two peaks. Approx. 19 birds were seen in
        total. At one point 6 woodpeckers at a time were flycatching very
        swallow-like over the pines near the summit of Ranger Peak.
        Second, at both the summits were large numbers (perhaps 150, perhaps
        many more) of swallows and all that were close enough to identify were
        Violet-greens.
        It was very hot (low to mid 90sF) in both places.
        Mark Holmgren"

        Tom Edell had an Acorn Woodpecker near the coast Sunday in SLO County.

        An ACORN WOODPECKER was perched in a willow snag near
        the mouth of Oso Flaco Creek (this species has been reported from many
        atypical locations/habitats this fall

        Mark Brown
        Santa Maria"