Re: [CALBIRDS] jay and woodpecker invasion

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
      Another Acorn Woodpecker was at Galileo Hill in Kern Co. last week, quite
      unusual for there.

      Still another irruptive species this fall is Red-throated Pipit. Numbers
      are very high along the SoCal coast, with reports from every county from
      SLO to SD in the last week. The high number is 5 in Ventura Co. In LA Co.,
      they were found in the Antelope Valley and at Ballona Freshwater Marsh.
      There was also a report of one at Galileo Hill on 10/27.

      At 07:29 PM 2003-10-07 -0700, John Sterling wrote:
      >We can add Acorn Woodpecker to the list (Pinyon Jay and Lewis Woodpecker) as
      >several have been found in odd places during the past month.
      >.... Something definately is going on with
      >this species and interesting records should be reported and compiled.

      Good birding,

      Steve Sosensky, SoCA Bird Guides www.sosensky.com/guides/
      <mailto:steve@...> for general use
      <mailto:mobile@...> rare birds and emergencies only
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 818-508-4946 34.15645 N, 118.36715 W
      www.SoCalAudubon.org/socal/ www.SanFernandoValleyAudubon.org/sfvas/
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22 SMS: stevesosensky@...
    • kmburton
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
        Acorn and Lewis's Woodpeckers have shown up on outer Point Reyes, too, in
        unusual numbers this fall. I suspect (and have heard) that the acorn crop
        is very poor. This might explain the two woodpeckers, at least.

        Ken Burton
        Inverness

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
          Greetings,

          In the western part of south Los Angeles County (i.e., Palos Verdes
          Peninsula and vicinity), where Acorn Woodpeckers are not resident, an
          amazing seven individuals of this species have been found this fall
          since early September.

          Hoping for Pinyon Jays and Lewis's Woodpeckers down here.......
          Kevin Larson
          Lawndale

          John Sterling wrote:

          > Don and David and all,
          > We can add Acorn Woodpecker to the list (Pinyon Jay and Lewis
          > Woodpecker) as
          > several have been found in odd places during the past month. Two at Lake
          > Tahoe, one at Consumnes Preserve, two at my house in Woodland, one at
          > Lanphere Dunes near Arcata etc.... Something definately is going on with
          > this species and interesting records should be reported and compiled.
          >
          > John
          >
          > **********************************
          > John Sterling
          > 26 Palm Ave
          > Woodland, CA 95695
          > 530 668-8694 (home office)
          > 530 668-1985 (home)
          > 916 737-3000 ext 3593 (Sacramento office)
          > 916 752-0899 (cell phone)
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259395.3614674.4902533.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065787:HM/A=1524963/R=0/SIG=12o885gmo/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3614674&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

          > email to these addresses:

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        • lori conrad
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 7, 2003
            Weekend before last, we also had an Acorn Woodpecker in an unusual place....Fort Rosecrans Cemetary on Pt Loma in southern San Diego. What's next, a new yard bird in Hermosa possibly?

            Lori Conrad
            Hermosa Beach