Avian invasion - PIJA and LEWO

  • Don Roberson
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
      Although this topic has been reported on local listservs, it hasn't yet
      appeared on this Statewide service. FYI, there is a nearly unprecedented
      invasion of PINYON JAYS occurring in the interior of central California
      coastal counties, accompanied by a significant movement of LEWIS'S
      WOODPECKERS. Whether these two movements are related is an interesting
      question. To briefly sumarize some recent observations taken from chat
      lines:

      PINYON JAY

      22 Sep 2 birds Carrizo Plain SLO Alan Schmierer (from SLO Co.
      Birding)
      28 Sep 2 birds Chews Ridge MTY BSOL campers, incl. M. Brady, M.
      Fogg, S. Stock, R. Terrill, D. Vander Pluym (from MBB & county
      listers) first MTY record since 1895
      30 Sep 2 birds upper Tar Canyon KIN Jim Lomax (from county
      listers) first KIN record
      2 Oct 1 bird Deer Canyon, near Arroyo Grande SLO Brad Schram
      (from SLO Co. Birding) 1st SLO coastal plain record
      5 Oct 3 birds Chalk Peak vic. SCZ D.L. Suddjian (from MBB) 1st
      SCZ record
      7 Oct 1-3 birds Cone Peak MTY D. Roberson (from MBB)

      It is interesting to note that all records so far are of wandering 1-3
      birds, as if a large set of the population is widely dispersed

      LEWIS"S WOODPECKER [likely missed some reports in this survey limited
      to SM/SCZ/SBT/MTY)

      22 Sep 1 bird Foster City SM Ron Thorn (from Pen Bird)
      27 Sep 3 birds Fremont Peak SBT/MTY Steve Glover (from county
      listers & MBB)
      29 Sep 1 bird Moss Beach SM Al DeMartini (from BirdWest)
      30 Sep 2 birds Chews Ridge MTY D. Roberson (from MBB)
      2 Oct+ sev eastern Ft. Ord MTY Tim Buehl, D. Styrer et al.
      (from BirdWest)
      5 Oct 1 bird Windy Hill OSP, SM Jan Hintermeister et al. (from
      Pen Bird)

      While some of these sites (e.g., e. Ft Ord) have hosted Lewis's in other
      recent invasions, others have not: I have no prior records from Fremont
      Peak, nor any prior fall records from Chews Ridge, in my MTY database.
      This suggests that this autumn's movement of this woodpecker is starting
      out on a grander scale than we have seen.

      Don Roberson
      Pacific Grove CA
      http://www.montereybay.com/creagrus/
    • dsuddjian@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
        In a message dated 10/7/03 5:56:25 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        creagrus@... writes:

        > LEWIS"S WOODPECKER [likely missed some reports in this survey limited
        > to SM/SCZ/SBT/MTY)

        To the reports of Lewis's that Don listed I can add three more for SCZ:

        Sept 15 Pajaro River, SCZ & MTY 1 (D. Suddjian)
        Sept 28 Olive Springs Road, SCZ 1 (D. Suddjian)
        Oct 5 Castle Rock State Park, SCZ 2 (C. Emmons)

        Plus 3 were out of place at three spots on the Sierran west slope at Yosemite
        NP on September 22-25 (D. Suddjian)

        David L. Suddjian
        Capitola, CA
        dsuddjian@...

        Santa Cruz Bird Club website: http://santacruzbirdclub.org/

      • Sean
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
          Further south, Alice Abela and Amber Transou reported 4 Lewis's
          Woodpeckers with Acorn Woodpeckers at Tranquity Peak, Vandenberg AFB in
          Santa Barbara county today (10/7).

          Please reply to sean@... and smca@...

          Sean McAllister

          Mad River Biologists

          1497 Central Avenue

          McKinleyville, CA 95519

          (707) 839-0900

          (707) 496-8790

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          065787:HM/A=1595053/R=0/SIG=124gf29oe/*http:/ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitake
          nattogyo?YH=3707890&yhad=1595053> Click Here!

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3707890.4968055.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1595053/rand=124701479>

          Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email
          to these addresses: