RFI Ruddy Ground Dove, Imperial County

  • Tans, Gordon-ANC
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2003
      Hi,
      I hope to visit the Salton Sea on Wed. Oct 15 and want to look for the Ruddy
      Ground Dove near Calipatria. But I have not read any mention of those birds
      for a week or more. Can anyone advise whether they have searched
      (successfully or not) for those birds recently? And please report on any
      attempts to locate them within the next 7 days. Thanks so much!

      Gordon Tans
      gtans@...
      Anchorage, Alaska
    • Bob Miller
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2003
        Hi all, and Gordon!

        The Ruddy Ground-Doves are still being seen near the intersection of Sperry
        and Eddins Roads, west of Calipatria. There were a minimum of six
        individuals there on 2 Oct. Standing on the ditch bank, on the north side
        and a little west of the intersection, and scanning the area around the pig
        pens can be productive. If there is little activity there, walk south along
        Sperry, to the house on the south side of the fenced equipment yard. The
        RUGD are often seen sitting on the fence or in the large Eucalyptus tree
        beside the driveway. The owner of the house puts out seed by a very small
        pond at the base of the Eucalyptus and the area can be seen well from the
        roadside at the entrance to their driveway. The residents of the area are
        friendly and welcome birders on good behavior.

        A note on a few larger... drastically larger birds from today. 197 Sandhill
        Cranes gathered at their usual evening spot behind the grain warehouse on
        Carey Road, south of Brawley and east of Hwy 86. 12 of them were juvenile
        birds. One of the adults was wearing a radio and had a yellow band on each
        leg with the number 327. What first caught my eye about the bird was that
        it was still very rusty colored overall, more so than any of the others of
        which some were still pretty colorful. I left the spot about 6pm so there
        were probably a good numbers of Sandhills that had not flown into their
        gathering place yet. They typically all fly out from this location just as
        the sun sets and move to their night roosting area, which changes through
        the season, but is generally in the area of Dogwood and Keystone or Harris
        Roads.

        (!__!)
        (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
        {}~~{} BOB MILLER