Hermit Thrush.......Ongoing Song: Brown Creeper/Marin County

  • DANIEL EDELSTEIN
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2003
      10/6/03:

      1. HERMIT THRUSH, call only (not song), Pacheco Valley, southern
      Novato, Marin Co.

      2. Perhaps it's not surprising and maybe it's not
      scientifically-"special," but the
      ongoing daily song of a BROWN CREEPER in my
      Novato (Marin County) backyard
      is at least interesting --
      and certainly a joyful
      refrain to hear at dawn.

      At the least, for those who wish to speculate, the presence of song
      by residents
      (like BR CREEPER) could be adults or hatch year birds. Notice I wrote
      "could be."

      On the other hand, if I hear a song from a NON-resident in the
      autumn, I often may
      think it "could be" a first year bird/hatch year bird practicing its
      song -- while the
      after hatch year adults are silent (according to my theory, which is
      not unique).

      My ruminations, of course, are only one possible reason for
      explaining why a non-resident
      would sing in the autumn and
      "song expert"/ornithologist Dr. Donald Kroodsma,
      Univ. of Mass., agrees (personal conversation).

      --
      Daniel Edelstein

      Novato, CA (Marin Co.) (24 miles north of Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco)

      415-382-1827 (voice), 415-382-1842 (FAX)

      http://home.earthlink.net/~edelstein

      edelstein@...