TR:10-4-03LAAS pelagic

  • D. Heindel
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2003
      Ahoy mates!
      please pardon the crossposting

      No time for a long report (which should please many).
      Here's yesterday's LAAS Condor Express trip list. Note
      there are two more LAAS trips this fall. Oct. 25 from
      Oxnard on the Island Packers Cat, and another from
      Ventura in Nov.. There is also a deepwater trip on
      the Condor Express organized by them (not LAAS) on
      Thanksgiving weekend Saturday, 11/29. Sign up at
      Sea Landing in Sta.Barb. (805-963-3564) This trip
      hopes for Pterodroma Petrels. Laysan and Leach's are
      likely. We once saw a Red-TAILED Tropicbird at Arguello
      in late Nov., as was the only Stejneger's I've seen!
      10/4/03 To outside and around S.Miguel Isl., and
      the 1000 fathom curve 20 mi. SW of S.Miguel Is..

      Common Loon - 1
      Pink-footed Shearwater
      Flesh-footed Shearwater - 1 outstanding extended views
      Buller's Shearwater x - still the fanciest shearwater
      Sooty Shearwater
      Storm-Petrel sps. 4 (4 seperate obsvrs.)
      South Polar Skua - 4
      Pomarine Jaeger - x
      Parasitic Jaeger - x
      Long-tailed Jaeger - x
      Sabine's Gull - 10
      Tern sps.
      Common Tern
      Royal Tern
      Xantus's Murrelet
      Cassins' Auklet
      Rhinoceros Auklet

      No Craveri's where I saw at least a dozen two weeks ago.
      The 3rd "Skua Slam" of the socal fall (9/6, 9/20, 10/4)
      One BLACKPOLL briefly (<2 minutes) in the Myroporum in
      the sand at the base of the SeaLanding pier wasn't bad
      for standing around waiting.....nice bright imm..

      It was a great trip, and a great group! Leaders were
      Todd McGrath, David Pereksta, Barney Schlinger, myself
      and Bernardo Alps. Captains Ron Hart and Mat Curto
      and the Condor Express always provide a top quality
      experience. Thank you all for your great work!

      www.condorcruises.com
      http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/pelagics
      LA Audubon : 323-876-0202

      Mitch - Torrance (for a few more days)