marin white winged doves-- help!!

  • m_barpere_fiend
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2003
      Hi!
      I am new to this both this group and to birding, but thought that I
      would be bold and post a few questions puzzling me.

      on a recent trip to hawk hill, I saw a group of 11-12 pigeon-like
      birds and spent some time studying their characteristics. At the
      time someone called out "band tailed pigeon" but when I later
      consulted my references, the birds I saw more closely resembled
      white winged dove. Are BTP likely to be confused for WWD under
      certain conditions? Has anyone recently seen these birds in the
      headlands area? Sibley gives the WWD a green dot for our area, are
      there uncommon visitors on a regular basis?

      I saw the white and dark wing markings quite clearly, but, am more
      than ready to believe I was confused!

      thanks for your time,
      Barbara Pereira
      Burlingame
    • kmburton
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2003
        Barbara,

        White-winged Dove is a rare vagrant to Marin from May-November, always
        singly (never in flocks).

        They WERE Band-tailed Pigeons.

        Ken Burton
        Inverness

        > I am new to this both this group and to birding, but thought that I
        > would be bold and post a few questions puzzling me.
        >
        > on a recent trip to hawk hill, I saw a group of 11-12 pigeon-like
        > birds and spent some time studying their characteristics. At the
        > time someone called out "band tailed pigeon" but when I later
        > consulted my references, the birds I saw more closely resembled
        > white winged dove. Are BTP likely to be confused for WWD under
        > certain conditions? Has anyone recently seen these birds in the
        > headlands area? Sibley gives the WWD a green dot for our area, are
        > there uncommon visitors on a regular basis?
        >
        > I saw the white and dark wing markings quite clearly, but, am more
        > than ready to believe I was confused!
        >
        > thanks for your time,
        > Barbara Pereira
        > Burlingame