Re: [CALBIRD] California Bird Chat site

  • Scott Spencer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2001
      It was pointed out to me by one of the CALBIRDS originators that ALL
      of the many California regional birding lists hosted by Yahoo!Groups
      have the feature that
      o all daily input is archived (copied to a permanent file)
      o such that, if you join one of the lists
      o and, set the "nomail" mode of operation (useful also for vacations)
      you can then
      o receive NO daily mail messages
      o but, still read all the messages on that list (from the archives)
      at a periodic rate (weekly? monthly?) that meets your needs.

      By my count a few weeks back, there were aprx 18 regional CA lists
      hosted by Yahoo, to which CALBIRDS has recently been added. Some of
      these have completely public archives that even a non-member can
      read, others require that you become a (possibly NO-MAIL) member.
      So, you have the possibility of finding out more than you probably
      care to know about birding in California
      o AND get NO email AT ALL on a continuing basis.
      You need only subscribe actively to ones for which you require
      immediate access.

      (It's probable that you'll have to register with Yahoo to obtain full
      access to the complete range of mail list features. I don't know
      this for a fact, cause I joined them long ago for other reasons --
      and am automatically accorded further access to stuff like this.)

      It may be of interest to some that the BirdXXXX series of mail lists
      has essentially the same features (archives, no-mail). You can check
      this out at
      <http://listserv.arizona.edu/archives/index.html>
      I don't think you have to be a "member" to read these archives.

      For better birding --

      Scott

      P.S. You can find some/all of the CA county birding lists via Joe
      Morlan's invaluable resource
      <http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~jmorlan/county.htm>
      and/or via this site
      <http://www.geocities.com/steve_holzman/birding/camap.gif>
      For the Yahoo!Groups collection, you'll need something like the
      following URL with the last field made to match the "name" you found
      on the Holzman map
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/kerncobirding>
      I'm pretty sure I've seen this map somewhere in a clickable form;
      but, I've lost track of it. Perhaps, somebody else can provide this?
      It would appear to be a constructive addition to the CALBIRDS
      supplementary files mentioned elsewhere.
      --
      Scott T. Spencer aka stspencer@...
      Menlo Park, CA spouse: AWfolks@...