San Clemente Island Birds 6 Sep

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2003
      Birders

      It seems as if the southbound migration of adult Pomarine Jaegers has started
      to reach SCI. Yesterday I saw five adults, and this morning I counted 11
      passing West Cove Point, including four stunning dark-morphs, several still
      sporting long spoons. Red Phalaropes have picked up as well. Just a trickle of
      Pink-footed Shearwaters moving south otherwise. Two Marbled Godwits were also
      seen heading south, a rare but regular stray to the island in fall.

      Today, while surveying Lemon Tank, I turned up some good birds including the
      following: (1) Bobolink (7th SCI record), (1) Vaux's Swift [8th record for
      SCI], and a Solitary Sandpiper, among other common migrants.

      It seems as if fall migration is certainly kicking in out here. I almost
      feel conflicted about having to leave for two weeks next week to watch migration
      in Virginia and Cape May! I don't want to miss that Yellow Wagtail I've been
      expecting out here for the past few years!

      Brian L. Sullivan
      PRBO Conservation Science
      San Clemente Loggerhead Shrike Recovery Project
      2515 Camino del Rio South
      Suite 334
      San Diego, CA
      92108