Fwd: [slocobirding] REDDISH EGRET Update

  • TEdell@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2003
      The Reddish Egret found yesterday at Whale Rock Reservoir in Cayucos (north
      of Morro Bay on Highway 1) was still present as of 1100 this morning.
      Directions are provided below. This is the first record for SLO County.

      Tom Edell
      SLO County Bird Records Compiler
      Cayucos, CA
      tedell@...

      In a message dated 9/5/2003 5:42:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      aaschmierer@... writes:

      > The 1st year REDDISH EGRET at Whale Rock Reservoir continued to be seen
      > throughout the day. At 0940 it was at the first cove visible from Cottontail
      > Creek Road [ the Santa Rita Creek outlet ]. It then flew west out of sight. I
      > then re-found it at the mouth of Cottontail Creek. It then flew to the opposite
      > shore and worked that edge west for a long way. I got Tom Edell and we
      > searched that whole area. We then re-found it flying east out of sight. Tom
      > re-found again mid-way along the south shore. It then flew west down that
      > shore to near the transformers, and we lost it. In the early afternoon, Mike
      > Stiles re-found it back in the Santa Rita cove. It was feeding very little at
      > this point, and rested on the near shore on the mud and later on a log. At 1600
      > it was again working the south shore of that cove.
      >
      > The bird is a first year bird. It is quite pale, and is hard to spot when it
      > is not moving. As described above, it moves around a lot, but would perhaps
      > best be looked for at the Santa Rita creek arm, and 2nd at the Cottontail
      > Creek arm.
      >
      > Whale Rock Reservoir is reached by going north out of Morro Bay on Route 1.
      > On the south end of Cayucos at a traffic light, turn right on Old Creek Road.
      > Access to the two bays/arms mentioned above is from Cottontail Creek Road,
      > which is reached by driving to the far east end of the reservoir and turning
      > left on the first available paved road.

      Alan Schmierer
      Los Osos, CA