More on Spotted Doves

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2003
      Calbirders:

      Further to our recent (stimulating) discussion of the decline of Spotted
      Doves, I should point out that Kevin Enns-Rempel in Fresno and Mike
      McQuerrey in Bakersfield both confirmed that this species remains common in
      their respective areas. So even if Spotted Doves do eventually peter out
      in the greater Los Angeles area, there are a couple of important outlying
      populations that may persist longer.

      It seems that many introduced species have a tendency to grow rapidly and
      expand geographically, only to later contract and decline.

      The bottom line for those seeking Spotted Doves: Look in the Los Angeles
      Basin from the downtown L. A. and East Los Angeles areas south to the
      coastal areas from around L. A. International Airport down to western Long
      Beach. AND/OR look in the Fresno area (according to Kevin: "They are quite
      common in the Huntington Boulevard area. I also occasionally hear them at
      Fresno Pacific University and know that they are also found regularly in
      parts of the Tower District and Old Fig Garden") or around Bakersfield
      (where they are common and widespread).

      -- Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett
      Ornithology Collections Manager