Re: [CALBIRDS] Spotted Doves

  • Kevin Enns-Rempel
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2003
      Kimball Garrett wrote:

      > It may only be a matter of a few years before bird listers have the
      > "Crested Myna" debate about Spotted Doves (i.e., can you count a
      > species on
      > your ABA list if all ABA-area populations have been extirpated?).

      While they may be declining in the Los Angeles area, my impression is
      that Spotted Dove numbers are increasing in Fresno. They are quite
      common in the Huntington Boulevard area (where I live). I also
      occasionally hear them at Fresno Pacific University (where I work), and
      know that they are also found regularly in parts of the Tower District
      and Old Fig Garden.

      I hear or see Spotted Doves virtually every day at my house. They seem
      to very much like the large Camphor trees that are common in our
      neighborhood.

      This species doesn't show up on the two Fresno CBC lists because neither
      count circle includes the sections of town where they tend to be found.
      Perhaps this isn't so much a case of impending extirpation as of
      migration northward.

      --
      Kevin Enns-Rempel
      Fresno, CA