RE: [CALBIRDS] Spotted Doves

  • Luke Cole
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
      Interesting that the Spotted Doves had their two best years ever in
      terms of population per party hour in the two years immediately
      preceding the crash...

      Luke Cole
      San Francisco, CA
      luke@...

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
        At 12:31 PM 9/2/2003 -0700, Rusty Scalf wrote:
        >I thought I'd check out the Audubon Christmas Bird Count page
        >http://www.audubon.org/bird/cbc/ to see how Spotted Doves have done on
        >the Palos Verdes Count, one that I do every year.
        >Does look like a crash in numbes in the past two years.

        Rusty:

        In the Palos Verdes CBC you chose virtually the ONLY count area in
        California in which Spotted Dove has not declined substantially over the
        past 15-20 years. For a more detailed analysis of CBC trends, see the
        Spotted Dove BNA account (No. 586, 2001). Interestingly, Spotted Doves are
        even declining in count areas adjacent to Palos Verdes (e.g. Long Beach,
        Los Angeles, Orange County NE, etc.).

        It may only be a matter of a few years before bird listers have the
        "Crested Myna" debate about Spotted Doves (i.e., can you count a species on
        your ABA list if all ABA-area populations have been extirpated?).

        For those looking for Spotted Dove (e.g. Mr. Klim from the UK), your best
        bet is certainly the southern part of Los Angeles County, especially around
        San Pedro, Torrance, Wilmington, and westernmost Long Beach. They are
        findable (but sparser) north to the Los Angeles International Airport area
        and downtown Los Angeles (e.g. Echo Park). They are largely gone now from
        both the San Fernando and San Gabriel Valleys, as well as the "Inland Empire".

        -- Kimball

        Kimball L. Garrett
        Ornithology Collections Manager
        900 Exposition Blvd.
        Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
        213-763-3368
        213-746-2999 FAX
        kgarrett@...
      • Kevin Enns-Rempel
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 3, 2003
          Kimball Garrett wrote:

          > It may only be a matter of a few years before bird listers have the
          > "Crested Myna" debate about Spotted Doves (i.e., can you count a
          > species on
          > your ABA list if all ABA-area populations have been extirpated?).

          While they may be declining in the Los Angeles area, my impression is
          that Spotted Dove numbers are increasing in Fresno. They are quite
          common in the Huntington Boulevard area (where I live). I also
          occasionally hear them at Fresno Pacific University (where I work), and
          know that they are also found regularly in parts of the Tower District
          and Old Fig Garden.

          I hear or see Spotted Doves virtually every day at my house. They seem
          to very much like the large Camphor trees that are common in our
          neighborhood.

          This species doesn't show up on the two Fresno CBC lists because neither
          count circle includes the sections of town where they tend to be found.
          Perhaps this isn't so much a case of impending extirpation as of
          migration northward.

          --
          Kevin Enns-Rempel
          Fresno, CA