Spotted Doves

  • Rusty Scalf
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
      I thought I'd check out the Audubon Christmas Bird Count page
      http://www.audubon.org/bird/cbc/ to see how Spotted Doves have done on
      the Palos Verdes Count, one that I do every year.

      I have always heard that avian populations naturally fluctuate, and
      there is no reason to suppose that introduced species would be an
      exception. Here is what I found (I hope the columns stay straight):

      Year Number Per Party Hrs Hrs
      68 60 0.8 75.0
      69 210 1.4 146.0
      70 280 1.8 156.0
      71 190 1.1 168.0
      72 250 1.5 169.0
      73 175 1.1 159.0
      74 167 1.1 153.0
      75 256 1.6 164.0
      76 150 1.5 97.0
      77 98 0.8 129.0
      78 194 1.7 111.0
      79 58 0.4 133.0
      81 91 0.7 135.8
      82 97 0.8 126.5
      83 56 0.5 107.0
      84 53 0.3 185.0
      85 81 0.8 103.3
      86 179 1.4 127.0
      87 189 1.4 130.8
      88 139 0.9 162.0
      89 112 0.7 158.0
      90 160 1.2 130.0
      91 194 1.4 142.0
      92 183 1.1 159.5
      93 244 1.6 156.0
      94 167 1.3 127.8
      95 183 1.4 133.8
      96 116 0.8 145.0
      97 236 1.7 135.8
      91 194 1.4 142.0
      92 183 1.1 159.5
      93 244 1.6 156.0
      94 167 1.3 127.8
      95 183 1.4 133.8
      96 116 0.8 145.0
      97 236 1.7 135.8
      98 298 1.4 213.0
      99 224 1.7 131.5
      00 353 2.4 145.2
      01 420 2.5 170.5
      02 82 0.4 188.0
      03 49 0.3 175.1

      Does look like a crash in numbes in the past two years.

      -Rusty Scalf
      Berkeley, CA

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
    • Luke Cole
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
        Interesting that the Spotted Doves had their two best years ever in
        terms of population per party hour in the two years immediately
        preceding the crash...

        Luke Cole
        San Francisco, CA
        luke@...

[...]

        Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or, send a blank email
        to these addresses: Turn off email delivery:
        mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Kimball Garrett
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
          At 12:31 PM 9/2/2003 -0700, Rusty Scalf wrote:
          >I thought I'd check out the Audubon Christmas Bird Count page
          >http://www.audubon.org/bird/cbc/ to see how Spotted Doves have done on
          >the Palos Verdes Count, one that I do every year.
          >Does look like a crash in numbes in the past two years.

          Rusty:

          In the Palos Verdes CBC you chose virtually the ONLY count area in
          California in which Spotted Dove has not declined substantially over the
          past 15-20 years. For a more detailed analysis of CBC trends, see the
          Spotted Dove BNA account (No. 586, 2001). Interestingly, Spotted Doves are
          even declining in count areas adjacent to Palos Verdes (e.g. Long Beach,
          Los Angeles, Orange County NE, etc.).

          It may only be a matter of a few years before bird listers have the
          "Crested Myna" debate about Spotted Doves (i.e., can you count a species on
          your ABA list if all ABA-area populations have been extirpated?).

          For those looking for Spotted Dove (e.g. Mr. Klim from the UK), your best
          bet is certainly the southern part of Los Angeles County, especially around
          San Pedro, Torrance, Wilmington, and westernmost Long Beach. They are
          findable (but sparser) north to the Los Angeles International Airport area
          and downtown Los Angeles (e.g. Echo Park). They are largely gone now from
          both the San Fernando and San Gabriel Valleys, as well as the "Inland Empire".

          -- Kimball

          Kimball L. Garrett
          Ornithology Collections Manager
          900 Exposition Blvd.
          Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
          213-763-3368
          213-746-2999 FAX
          kgarrett@...
        • Kevin Enns-Rempel
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 3, 2003
            Kimball Garrett wrote:

            > It may only be a matter of a few years before bird listers have the
            > "Crested Myna" debate about Spotted Doves (i.e., can you count a
            > species on
            > your ABA list if all ABA-area populations have been extirpated?).

            While they may be declining in the Los Angeles area, my impression is
            that Spotted Dove numbers are increasing in Fresno. They are quite
            common in the Huntington Boulevard area (where I live). I also
            occasionally hear them at Fresno Pacific University (where I work), and
            know that they are also found regularly in parts of the Tower District
            and Old Fig Garden.

            I hear or see Spotted Doves virtually every day at my house. They seem
            to very much like the large Camphor trees that are common in our
            neighborhood.

            This species doesn't show up on the two Fresno CBC lists because neither
            count circle includes the sections of town where they tend to be found.
            Perhaps this isn't so much a case of impending extirpation as of
            migration northward.

            --
            Kevin Enns-Rempel
            Fresno, CA