Down slope migration

  • Richard Carlson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2003
      The birds are moving down. My feeder at 6,700 feet is suddenly full of
      Cassin's Finches and Evening Grosbeaks. Even the Chickadees are growing in
      number.

      Higher up, above 7,000 ft in Ward Creek Canyon, (off Hwy 89, S. of Tahoe
      City,)the Lazuli bunting, Green-tailed Towhee and Brewer's sparrows are
      pretty much gone. Didn't hear a single Mountain Quail either. A few Pine
      Grosbeaks and McGilvray's Warblers are hanging around up the canyon.

      Williamson's sapsuckers are suddenly common. Migrant Rufous hummers have
      completely replaced the local breeding Calliopes.

      The weather is gorgeous but the birds know Fall is coming.

      Richard C. Carlson
      Full Time Birder, Biker & Rotarian
      Part-time Economist
      Spending our first wonderful summer at 6,700 ft at Lake Tahoe
      Palo Alto & Lake Tahoe, CA & Tucson, AZ
      rccarl@...
      Palo Alto: 650-949-9590
      Tucson: 520-760-4935