Godwit sightings

  • SiriusGuy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2003
      Being a nitwit when it comes to Godwits, not to mention a few hundred other
      species, what I gather from brief reading would be that the Hudsonian Godwit
      sightings are a "big deal" because the birds reported are far from their usual
      migration route, which I understand to be typically non-stop from the Far North
      (i.e., Hudson's Bay area) down to the Gulf Coast, then over the Gulf of
      Mexico to South America. So, even to spot them on the ground almost anywhere in
      the United States would be unusual.

      Are there other aspects that make this of interest? Might the HUGO be a
      species I'd have a chance of spotting during my mid-September trip to the
      Caribbean?

      Alan Birnbaum
      Fresno, CA

    • Canyon Wren
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2003
        Hi Calbirders and Alan,
        my two cents worth:

        We actually had a flock of 26 pass by Miller Beach, Gary, Indiana on Lake
        Michigan about a week ago. Highest count of this species anywhere in the
        state
        and anywhere along Lake Michigan that I am aware of. Usually we do good
        to get one or two.

        But, we now have some young enthusiastic birders who spend a lot of time
        watching Lake Michigan so wonderful things are being reported.

        First Parasitic Jaeger just appeared this week-end.

        Good Birding!
        Lynea

        Lynea Hinchman
        Michigan City, Indiana
        Heart of the Indiana Dunes
        canyonwren@...

        Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't
        do than by the things you did do. So, throw off the bowlines. Sail away from
        the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
        Discover. -- Mark Twain

        > Being a nitwit when it comes to Godwits, not to mention a few hundred
        other
        > species, what I gather from brief reading would be that the Hudsonian
        Godwit
        > sightings are a "big deal" because the birds reported are far from their
        usual
        > migration route, which I understand to be typically non-stop from the Far
        North
        > (i.e., Hudson's Bay area) down to the Gulf Coast, then over the Gulf of
        > Mexico to South America. So, even to spot them on the ground almost
        anywhere in
        > the United States would be unusual.
        >
        > Are there other aspects that make this of interest? Might the HUGO be a
        > species I'd have a chance of spotting during my mid-September trip to the
        > Caribbean?
        >
        > Alan Birnbaum
        > Fresno, CA

        these addresses: