RFI: LA introduced species

  • Richard Klim
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2003
      My wife and I will be travelling to California on Wednesday for 3 weeks of
      birding.

      One last minute request - can anybody please suggest the most reliable
      current site in the LA area for Spotted Dove, and White-winged and
      Yellow-chevroned Parakeets? In the case of the parakeets is a dusk visit
      essential?

      Many thanks in advance.

      Richard Klim
      Somerset, UK

      ---
    • Paul Fox
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31, 2003
        Kimball can certainly answer these questions better than I, but Spotted
        Dove is all over the flat lands. Listen for it. I have heard/seen it
        everywhere from mid-wilshire district, to Highland Park, to Pasadena,
        to west Los Angeles, and so on and on and on. The same can be said of
        the Yellow-chevroned. I have found that most easily in the Palm Trees
        of the Beverly Hills area. Several reside in the trees on Gale street
        across from my office but they are really all over. The White-chevroned
        is another matter. I haven't seen one in years, the Yellow seems to
        have extirpated them.

        Paul Fox
        On Sunday, August 31, 2003, at 05:06 AM, Richard Klim wrote:

        > can anybody please suggest the most reliable
        > current site in the LA area for Spotted Dove, and White-winged and
        > Yellow-chevroned Parakeets?  In the case of the parakeets is a dusk
        > visit
        > essential?

        pf

      • Marcus C. England
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31, 2003
          Can't say for certain if they are still there, but until July 7 (at
          least... that was when I finally got an apartment) there was at least one
          pair of Spotted Doves at the Best Western Pine Tree Hotel in Chino, just
          north of the 60 on Central Ave... pretty much 100% reliable.

          -Marcus (about to go birding in Brazil for three weeks)

          Marcus C. England
          Consulting Biologist | Corona, California

          Belize Birder Resources | On-line resources for birders visiting Belize
          http://www.belizebirds.com
        • Ed Stonick
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
            This sounds like the former haunts of the Spotted Dove, because it is no
            longer "all over the flatlands" and is gone from many of these areas,
            including Pasadena. Highland Park apparently still has a few, as I observed
            some flying birds from the new Metro Gold Line light rail a mile or two
            south of the Highland Park station.

            Regards,
            Ed

            Ed Stonick
            Pasadena, CA
            stonicks@...
            Kimball can certainly answer these questions better than I, but Spotted
            Dove is all over the flat lands. Listen for it. I have heard/seen it
            everywhere from mid-wilshire district, to Highland Park, to Pasadena,
            to west Los Angeles, and so on and on and on. The same can be said of
            the Yellow-chevroned. I have found that most easily in the Palm Trees
            of the Beverly Hills area. Several reside in the trees on Gale street
            across from my office but they are really all over. The White-chevroned
            is another matter. I haven't seen one in years, the Yellow seems to
            have extirpated them.

            Paul Fox
            On Sunday, August 31, 2003, at 05:06 AM, Richard Klim wrote:

            > can anybody please suggest the most reliable
            > current site in the LA area for Spotted Dove, and White-winged and
            > Yellow-chevroned Parakeets? In the case of the parakeets is a dusk
            > visit
            > essential?

            pf

            these addresses: