Masked Booby on SCI (again)

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2003
      Birders

      The same Masked Booby seen on 24 August put in a nice appearance at China
      Point, San Clemente Island today. This time the bird was perched on the rocks
      with gulls, and managed to get up and circle the rock several times for us,
      providing a nice study of the features we noted last week. I feel that this is a
      different bird from that seen on 10 August for the following reasons: the 10
      August bird was a clean adult showing no mottling on the inner upperwing
      coverts, and no molt in the primaries; the 24 and 30 August bird has distinctive
      mottling on the inner upperwing coverts and is molting several primaries. I was
      glad to get another look at this individual, as it confirmed my suspicion
      last week that there may have been two birds this month. Perhaps hurricane
      related? I know in the East and in the Gulf of Mexico large birds such as Boobies
      and Frigatebirds are often pushed well ahead of storms rather than being
      entrained within them like most tubenoses.

      Other than that, the birding has been quiet, but some migrants are beginning
      to trickle through.

      Good birding....

      Brian L. Sullivan
      PRBO Conservation Science
      San Clemente Loggerhead Shrike Recovery Project
      2515 Camino del Rio South
      Suite 334
      San Diego, CA
      92108