TWO Hudsonian Godwits at Alviso

  • Luke Cole
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2003
      This morning (unfortunately, after I had already left after viewing the first bird), John Luther found a SECOND Hudsonian Godwit in Alviso. Both birds were feeding separately this morning but have apparently joined up early this afternoon.

      I have put some horrendous digiscopes of the first bird (as well as my notes, description and field sketches), and a list of the 18 accepted California records of HUGO, at http://www.lukecole.com/Birds/HUGO.htm

      These birds are the third and fourth records for Santa Clara County, and the second and third records for Alviso.

      The directions are the same as yesterday:
      New Chicago Marsh is in Alviso, Santa Clara County, north of Hwy 237. Take
      First Street north from Hwy 237 to the first light and turn right on
      Nortech Parkway. At the next light turn left on Disk Drive and follow Disk
      Drive to the intersection of Grand and Spreckles. Turn left on Spreckles
      and drive up to State Street and park. The ponds where the Hudsonian has
      been found are on your right (east). Alternatively, from the east, get off
      Hwy 237 on Zanker which turns into Los Esteros and then Grand. Turn right
      on Spreckles and drive up to State Street.

      Luke Cole
      San Francisco

    • Luke Cole