Del Norte Black-headed Gull continues

  • chaniot@pacific.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2003
      Yesterday evening, Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Matthew Matthiessen, Chuck
      Vaughn, and I refound the BLACK-HEADED GULL at Teal Point on Lake Earl in
      Del Norte county. We birded around Lake Earl from noon to sunset without
      finding the bird, but finally located it sitting among Caspian Terns and
      California Gulls in a roosting flock on the mud to the east of the point.
      We believe that it flew in from the south at 8:20 pm, after sunset, and we
      had definitive looks at it in the fading light until 8:35, when it was too
      dark to discern.

      The directions in Mike Feighner's post of Aug 18 are good.
      We add a recommendation for getting through the maze of roads in the
      Pacific Shores "development": On Tell Blvd. continue past Ocean Drive and
      turn left on the second road, which is signed "Middleton". Follow this
      until it ends at a 90 degree left turn. After you make this turn, take the
      second dirt road to the right, drive to the end, park, and walk about 100 m
      to a suitable vantage point

      George Chaniot
      Potter Valley, MEN, CA