Cory's Shearwater in Monterey Bay

  • Roger Wolfe
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2003
      Seabird and whale watch skipper Richard Ternullo observed a CORY'S
      SHEARWATER at 4:45 pm Friday Aug. 22 about 4 miles west of Pt. Pinos.
      He and marine biologist Nancy Black chased it around a while trying to
      get some photos. We'll see how they come out. This is only the second
      west coast record as far as I know. The first was just last Aug. 9 off
      the Cordell Bank. One has to wonder if it might be the very same bird
      observed during an afternoon trip by Monterey Bay Whale Watch.

      Currently albacore tuna are being caught only 5 miles out and there is a
      large concentration of krill along the sea canyon shelf. To quote
      Richard, "there is a huge concentration of shearwaters working the area."
      I'll be out there today!

      We have seabirding trips coming up on both Sept. 21 and 22.
      http://www.montereyseabirds.com

      Cheers,
      Roger Wolfe
      Soquel, CA