Del Norte County Black-headed Gull (8-16-2003)

  • Mike Feighner
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18, 2003
      CALBIRDERS, NWCALBIRD, County Birders:

      On Saturday I saw the first summer Black-headed Gull (first found on August
      2, 2003) on Saturday, August 16, 2003, with two birders from Oregon. It
      arrived at precisely 8:07 PM and was still there at 8:30 PM. Alan Barron
      and I had spent 6:30 to 8:30 PM there the day before and did not see the
      gull then. A single Semipalmated Sandpiper was also present at this
      location on Saturday at the south-east end of Teal Point along the north end
      of Lake Earl.

      To reach this area, drive north on US 101 from Crescent City and turn left
      on Elk Valley Crossing Road (there is a brown sign there pointing to
      Florence Keller Park). Make a right on Lake Earl Drive and later a left
      onto Lower Lake Road, and then later make another left onto Kellogg Road.
      You will be now entering a housing development that never got off the
      ground. Make a left on Tell Blvd. Most the roads here are unsigned, but a
      few are. It's a confusing place to find your way, and even after visiting
      this place three different times, I am still not convinced of the directions
      I am giving. Each time I had to make my way through the maze and eventually
      got to the location: Make a left onto Ocean Drive. Ocean Drive will be
      densely bordered by small pines. Eventually, the road will curve to the
      right and head south, and will dead-end at the Black-headed Gull location.

      Alternatively, during the day you can check the west end of Lakeview Drive
      off of Lake Earl Drive (south of Elk Crossing Road) as Alan Barron has also
      found the Black-headed Gull here at midday.

      There have been no additional reports on the Black-headed Gull to the Arcata
      Birdbox
      (707) 822-5666 between our sighting and the writing of this report.

      --
      Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA, Alameda County
    • Thomas Gardali
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 18, 2003
        Support the California Bird Species of Special Concern (BSSC) project by
        purchasing a Limited Edition Keith Hansen print. The BSSC lists 71
        declining or vulnerable taxa in CA and, importantly, provides detailed
        information on each taxa (including research and management
        recommendations).

        For more information on BSSC go to
        http://www.prbo.org/cms/index.php?mid=230&module=browse

        To see the print and find out how to purchase one go to
        http://www.prbo.org/cms/index.php?mid=264

        Best, Tom Gardali

        Thomas Gardali
        PRBO Conservation Science