Gudalupe shearwater show

  • Walter Wehtje
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2003
      The fall Guadalupe shearwater show is back, with tens of thousands of Sooty
      Shearwaters streaming back and forth within a quarter mile of the shore. I
      counted 1,000 birds/minute passing me this morning, with a huge cloud of
      feeding birds (20,000+) near Oso Flaco Lake. Accompanying them were Brown
      Pelicans, Heermann's Gulls and cormorants. It's quite a sight, and worth
      checking out. With a little patience, other species of shearwater should be
      found, as well as the odd jaeger. This concentration of birds usually stays
      in the area through September, and I've counted up to 100,000 birds in the
      second week of September.

      Guadalupe Beach is on the Santa Barbara-San Luis Obispo county line. It is
      easiest accessed via Rancho Guadalupe Dunes County Park (Exit the 101 at
      Main Street in Santa Maria and drive west until you hit the ocean, about 15
      miles), or from Oso Flaco Lake, at the end of Oso Flaco Lake road, north of
      Guadalupe, on highway 1. Guadalupe, at the intersection of Main Street and
      Highway 1, has many restaurants and the Dunes Center, which is worth a
      visit.

      If you decide to bird this area, please remember that Snowy Plovers are
      still breeding (at least 1 nest is still being incubated), you have to stay
      out of the Santa Maria River estuary, as well as much of the upper beach.
      While the estuary didn't offer much this morning aside from 60 Red-necked
      Phalaropes, you can scan its mudflats from the beach.

      Have fun,

      Walter Wehtje