socal fall pelagics

  • D. Heindel
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11, 2003
      Ahoy seabirders,

      First, I apologize for cross-posting....

      The SoCal fall pelagic season is just about
      to get underway, and there are a number of
      trips avaialable if southern Murrelets,
      Tropicbirds, and Storm-Petrels are your quarry.
      They are also excellent for "Skuas" and Shearwaters.

      Surely the best bet is the LA Audubon Sept. 6
      trip on the Condor Express from Sta.Barbara,
      which will visit Cherry, Tanner and Cortes Banks.
      If you want to take one trip that gets the most
      pelagic species this is it. This high speed
      stable catamaran is the best pelagic birding boat
      I've ever been on. Gathering flight speed data
      is not only possible, but easy and fun!
      Sign up at LA Audubon.

      Other LAAS trips are:

      Oct 4 on the Condor Express to the outer San Miguel
      Island area, the best "nearshore" area in socal.

      October 25 from Oxnard on the Vanguard (the "3 Isls. trip")

      November 8 from Ventura on the Isl.Packers catamaran

      Then the Condor Express is running two other pelagic
      trips themselves. One is Sept 20 to the outer Miguel
      waters (last year Wilson's Storm-Petrels and T-bird).

      The other is a deepwater trip hunting for Pterodroma
      Petrels. The date has been changed from mid-Nov. to
      November 29 (Thanksgiving weekend).

      For these last two trips, sign up at SeaLanding:
      805-963-3564 or check www.condorcruises.com

      For the LAAS trips call Audubon House at:
      323-876-0202 Tues-Sat, 10-4 Pacific time....
      www.LAAudubon.org is their website

      Also my website has socal pelagic info:
      http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/pelagics
      (the date has not been corrected yet on the NOV 29 trip)
      The socal seabird calendar will help you
      decide when your best chances are for your
      hearts desires.

      see ya asea!
      happy hunting!

      Mitch - Torrance CA