Masked Booby on San Clemente Island

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10 2:19 PM
      Calbirders and friends

      This morning an adult Masked Booby was found at China Point, the southwestern
      tip of San Clemente Island.  Birders present were Robb S.A. Kaler, Mike Luck
      and myself.  The bird was first seen fishing offshore and was followed on and
      off for about .5 hr.  It loosely associated with a large feeding flock of
      Western and Heerman's Gulls that were following the many fishing boats offshore.
      The bird kindly decided to fly directly toward us and perch on a nearshore
      rock allowing me to take several digital photos through the scope.  The photo
      will likely be posted on Joe Morlan's web page for Calbirders, and here it is for
      the rest of you.  This single shot shows the bill color rather well.

      A subadult Masked Booby was present for several months last winter/early
      spring at the north end of SCI, and I have my suspicions as to whether or not this
      may be the same individual returning for a second year.  I guess it's rather
      unlikely though.

      Other birds of note off China Point this morning were 3 Red-billed
      Tropicbirds, a single adult Pomarine Jaeger, lots of Red-necked Phalaropes and great
      looks at the common species of shearwaters.  Lots of birds building up down there
      and anyone wishing to see a Red-billed Tropicbird in SoCal waters might want
      to get on one of these fishing boats.

      thanks

      Brian L. Sullivan
      PRBO Conservation Science
      San Clemente Loggerhead Shrike Recovery Project
      2515 Camino del Rio South
      Suite 334
      San Diego, CA
      92108

      bsullivan@...
    • Joseph Morlan
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10 2:42 PM
        On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:19:07 EDT, HeraldPetrel@... wrote:

        >The photo
        >will likely be posted on Joe Morlan's web page for Calbirders, and here it is for
        >the rest of you.  This single shot shows the bill color rather well.....

        Thanks to this contribution from Brian, I have posted the image at:

        http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/gallery.htm

        Unfortunately CalBirds does not permit attachments in email messages and
        strips them if present.

        --
        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan@...
        Fall Birding Classes start Sept 3 http://fog.ccsf.org/~jmorlan/
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 13, 2004
          Birders

          An adult Masked Booby was found today at China Point--the same location where
          one was seen last August-January. I assume the bird to be the same
          individual returning again for a consecutive year. In January 2003 a sub-adult was
          seen at the north end of SCI, and in August of 2003 an adult/near adult was seen
          there for the next 6 months. The bird today showed no signs of immaturity,
          and would be consistent with the plumage of this potentially returning
          individual. I was not able to photograph the bird today, but will try if we get access
          again into this normally restricted area of the island. Hopefully it will
          stay around now until winter. If anyone cares to see the bird from a boat, SCI
          is inaccessable to the public, it should be easily seen in mid-morning
          roosting on the rock at the southwest tip of the island.