Apparent ARCTIC LOON Continues

  • Matt Brady
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2003
      Austin Booth and I headed down to Pt. Reyes this afternoon to check out the
      reported ARCTIC LOON that is being seen at Abbott's Lagoon. It took us a
      while, but we finally spotted a Loon with ARLO characteristics swimming
      slowly along the western side of the southern portion of the Lagoon at about
      6 PM. It would on occasion raise one of its feet out of the water and shake
      them. Its glistening white sides were very obvious, even without optics.
      So what's the consensus on this bird?? Is it an ARLO or a COLO? Is it
      still there or not?

      Also around the Lagoon were some GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS in the grass along the
      bluff on the east side, and a juvenile ELEGANT TERN amongst the Caspian
      Terns at the north end. The apparently sick RED-THROATED LOON was hauled
      out on the grass at the north end. It didn't move at all, except to briefly
      open its eyes, so I think this guy may be on it's way out.

      We also stopped by Bodega Harbor, but it was high tide, and we didn't see
      any shorebirds.

      Matt Brady
      Ukiah, CA
      zerogambit@...