Aug 2, 2003 Monterey Trip

  • Debi Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2003
      Hello, Seabirders,
      Yesterday, we had a perfectly "tropical" day on Monterey Bay‹warm, balmy
      T-shirt weather, and glassy-smooth seas‹oh so critical for finding those
      desirable Xantus' and Craveri's Murrelets! In all, we had knock out views of
      6 CRAVERI'S MURRELETSand 2 XANTUS' MURRELETS, sitting on the water, great
      photo-ops! Two other individuals were seen, in the typical, flyaway
      position, and therefore not identified to species. It was quite satisfying
      to see these hard-to-find alcids.

      This past week a strong push of warm water from the south (the Great
      Southerly Push) has reached Monterey Bay. Our sea surface temperatures
      ranged from 58F near the harbor to 64F inside the bay! Albacore, bait fish,
      jellies, and krill are everywhere. There is a tremendous amount of food and
      marine life feeding on it! Whales and dolphins were concentrated about 1.8
      miles off of Point Pinos. (Easily seen from the point the evening prior to
      our trip). It is just an unbelievable show right now. The Beaufort
      conditions ranged from 0->.5. Owing to the very calm conditions, most of the
      tubenoses were sitting on the water, not flying. Two flocks of BLACK-FOOTED
      ALBATROSSES numbered 19 and 14 each. SABINE'S GULLS continued to build in
      numbers and the first LONG-TAILED JAEGER flew over our boat! Afternoon
      sunshine provided us with a great opportunity for photography. I shot an
      entire roll of film on an Ocean Sunfish (Mola mola)! Yes, we did see one
      sucking in those little sailors again! (By-the-wind-sailors- see July 25th
      report). The first fall NORTHERN FULMAR for Monterey Bay showed up on this
      trip. It was feeding on a dead seal carcass.

      Our next trips with spaces available are: from Monterey: August 8 (this
      Friday!), 23, 31 and September 7, 14, 15, 26; from Bodega Bay: August 9
      (this Saturday!) and September 12, 19, 28; from Santa Cruz: September 13,
      27; from Fort Bragg: September 21. We hope that you can join us on these
      trips. Several Shearwater Journey's leaders will be on each trip, as usual.
      Please check our web site.

      The complete list for the August 2, 2003 Monterey Bay trip follows:
      BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS-37
      SOOTY SHEARWATER-4,800
      PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATER-22
      NORTHERN FULMAR-1