North American Birds Summer Reminder

  • sgloverccc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30 9:59 AM
      Dear North American Birds Contributors,

      The abbreviated summer season is already coming to a close so please send
      your noteworthy records from the Middle Pacific Coast Region for the period 1
      June-31 July to the appropriate Subregional Editors (see below) or to the
      Regional Editors by 10 Aug.

      Please pay special attention to the format example given at the end of this
      message. Reports that are formatted properly make our job far easier. In
      particular, it is important to note that there is a single tab between species,
      date, etc.

      PLEASE use Subregional Editors for the counties that have them. These SREs
      painstakingly keep track of records within their counties and are in most cases
      THE source of information on the birds of their counties. By sending your
      records to the SREs, you are helping to contribute to their county files as well
      as to North American Birds. If you wish to send copies to the Regional
      Editors, we welcome them, but please send records through the SREs as well. If you
      have a noteworthy winter sighting from a county without a Subregional Editor,
      please send records to the Regional Editors below.

      Records of loons-frigatebirds and larids-alcids go to Scott Terrill and Tom
      Ryan at:
      H.T. Harvey & Associates
      3150 Almaden Expwy., Suite 145
      San Jose, CA 95118
      or
      sterrill@...

      Records of herons to shorebirds go to Mike Rogers at:
      499 Novato Ave.
      Sunnyvale, CA 94086
      m.m.rogers@...

      Records of doves through thrushes/Wrentit (in the new AOU order, that
      includes vireos and shrikes) go to Steve Glover at:
      6526 Conestoga Lane
      Dublin, CA 94568
      or
      Sgloverccc@...

      Records of thrashers to finches go to Luke Cole at:
      561 Hill Street
      San Francisco, CA 94114
      luke@...

      SUBREGIONAL EDITORS

      Alameda
      Bob Richmond
      24650 Amador St. #15
      Hayward, CA 94544
      BRichmondALA@...

      Alpine & Calaveras
      Penelope Bowen
      2035 Ashton Ave
      Menlo Park CA 94025
      PbowenD@...

      Amador & El Dorado
      Tim Steurer
      4042 Bancroft Dr.
      El Dorado Hills, CA 95762-6933
      tsteurer@...

      Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Sutter, Tehama, Yuba
      Bruce Deuel
      18730 Live Oak Road
      Red Bluff, CA 96080
      bdeuel@...

      Contra Costa
      Steve Glover
      6526 Conestoga Lane
      Dublin CA 94568
      Sgloverccc@...

      Del Norte
      Alan D. Barron
      1093 Hwy 101 N. #18
      Crescent City, CA 95531
      flockfinder@...

      Humboldt
      David Fix and Jude Claire Power
      P.O. Box 4331
      Arcata, CA 95518
      dfxjcp@...

      Kings
      Luke Cole
      561 Hill Street
      San Francisco, CA 94114
      luke@...

      Lake
      Jerry R. White
      P.O. Box 113
      Kelseyville, CA 95451
      grwhite@...

      Lassen
      Tim Manolis
      808 El Encino Way
      Sacramento, CA 95864
      ylightfoot@...

      Mendocino
      Bob Keiffer
      P. O. Box 354
      Hopland CA 95449
      rjkeiffer@...

      Merced and San Benito
      Kent Van Vuren
      26 Vista Dr.
      Salinas, CA 93907
      vanvurenk@...

      Modoc
      John Sterling
      Jones & Stokes Associates
      2600 V St.
      Sacramento, CA 95818-1914
      ani@...

      Mono
      Kristie Nelson
      P.O. Box 402
      Lee Vining, CA 93541
      storm_petrel@...

      Monterey
      Don Roberson
      282 Grove Acre
      Pacific Grove CA 93950
      831-373-2566fax
      creagrus@...

      Napa & Solano
      Robin Leong
      336 Benson Ave.
      Vallejo, CA 94590-3027
      robin_leong@...

      Nevada
      Brian Williams
      8200 Turner Dr.
      Granite Bay, CA 95746
      bwcal@...

      Placer
      Ed Pandolfino
      5530 Del Rose Court
      Carmichael, CA 95608
      erpfromca@...

      Plumas & Sierra
      John "Mac" McCormick
      2351 Filbert St.
      Apt. #102
      San Francisco, CA 94123
      macmc94123@...

      Sacramento and Yolo
      Chris Conard
      2405 Rio Bravo Circle
      Sacramento, CA 95826
      chris.conard@...

      San Francisco (mainland)
      The City: Mark Eaton
      1524 36th Avenue
      San Francisco, CA 94122
      mweaton@...

      San Joaquin
      David G. Yee
      11707 N. Alpine Rd.
      Lodi, CA 95240
      davidyee@...

      San Mateo
      Peter J. Metropulos
      470 Middlefield Rd.
      Atherton, CA 94027
      pjmetrop@...

      Santa Clara
      William G. Bousman
      321 Arlington Way
      Menlo Park CA 94025
      bousman@...

      Santa Cruz
      David Suddjian
      801 Monterey Ave.
      Capitola, CA 95010
      DSUDDJIAN@...

      Shasta
      Bob Yutzy
      P. O. Box 990237
      Redding CA 96099
      boby@...

      Siskiyou
      Ray Ekstrom
      2209 Delphic Rd.
      Montague, CA 96064

      Sonoma
      Ruth Rudesill
      P.O. Box 371
      Kenwood, CA 95452
      bandm@...

      Stanislaus
      Jim Gain
      1721 Candler Lane
      Modesto, CA 95355
      jimgain@...

      Trinity
      John E. Hunter
      P.O. Box 4483
      Arcata, CA 95518
      jhunter323@...

      Tuolumne
      Kenneth J. Brunges
      P.O. Box 1180
      Columbia, CA 95310
      Fulica@...

      We currently have no regional editors for Fresno, Madera, Marin, Mariposa and
      Tulare Counties. Records from these counties should be sent directly to the
      Regional Editors.

      The Reporting Deadlines are:
      Spring Summer Fall Winter

      Season ends May 31 July 31 Nov 30 Feb 28

      Observer reports to Subregional Editors (SREs)
      June 10 Aug 10 Dec 10 Mar 10

      Observer reports to Regional Editors (if not sent to SRE)
      June 10 Aug 10 Dec 10 Mar 10

      SRE reports to Regional Editors
      June 20 Aug 20 Dec 20 Mar 20

      Regional Editors final text to ABA office
      July 10 Sep 10 Jan 10 Apr 10

      PLEASE meet your deadlines so that we can meet our deadlines!

      Please send reports in our preferred order: species, date(s) [including
      year], locale, co. abbrev., number of birds, and observer, and then, on a second
      line, any comments. Please separate these sections by a "tab" (except just a
      space between locale and county abbreviation) on electronic versions submitted.
      Again, here's an example of the correct format:

      Grace's Warbler 12/13/98-2/20/99 Jacks Peak MTY 1 RFT, mob
      A second record for the Region (the first was 6/26/91 at Deer Spring,
      Glass Mt. MNO) which wintered with a large flock of Townsend's & Hermit warblers
      at the very top of Jacks Peak in Jacks Peak Regional Park. Details by Tintle
      and others are enclosed.

      Many observers and Subregional Editors have been submitting their reports
      electronically, either on a diskette or by e-mail. PLEASE submit electronic
      reports if possible. We are trying to maintain an electronic database of at least
      recent records, and we hope to be able to have all old data entered
      eventually so that the entire database will be easily accessible to anyone who wants
      it. Electronic submission of records in the format described above makes it
      much easier for us maintain this electronic database.

      We've heard questions about, comments on, and criticism of our regional
      reports from several observers and SREs. We really appreciate this feedback, as it
      helps us to better represent what is going on in the Region as a whole.
      Please help us correct any factual errors we make, and don't hesitate to let us
      know what you think of the reports.

      Many thanks to all the contributors and Subregional Editors who make these
      reports possible!

      Sincerely,

      Luke Cole, Mike Rogers, Scott Terrill, and Steve Glover

      (Middle Pacific Coast Regional Editors)

    • Alison White
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2003
        PRBO Conservation Science

        26th Annual Bird-A-Thon

        September 12 � October 13, 2003

        Grab your binoculars, get your field guide and get ready for the longest running Bird-A-thon in the US.

        Need a good reason to join us?

        Have fun while raising critical funds to conserve birds, other wildlife and their ecosystems throughout the West and Latin America!
        Be eligible to win tons of great prizes � spotting scopes, binoculars and more!
        All counters who commit to raising $5 per bird will be invited on a Bird-A-Thon VIP trip (For more information about this exciting opportunity please contact Alison White, Membership and Events Coordinator at 415-868-1221 ext. 320).
        Visit our beautiful birding hotspot � Point Reyes National Seashore; or, bird from your own backyard

        For more information, visit http://www.prbo.org/Birdathon or call Alison White at 415-868-1221 ext. 320.

      • Steve Glover
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1, 2006
          August 1, 2006

          Dear North American Birds Contributors,

          The brief summer season has already come to a close so
          please send your noteworthy records from the Middle
          Pacific Coast Region for the period 1 June- 31 July to
          the appropriate Subregional Editors (see below) or to
          the Regional Editors by 10 August.

[...]

          Scott Terrill at:

          countylines@...

          Records of thrashers to finches go to Luke Cole at:
          561 Hill Street
          San Francisco, CA 94114
          luke@...

          SUBREGIONAL EDITORS

          Alameda
          Bob Richmond
          24650 Amador St. #15
          Hayward, CA 94544
          Brichmond94544@...

          Alpine, Calaveras & Modoc
          John Sterling
          29 Palm Ave.
          Woodland, CA 95695
          ani@...

          Amador & El Dorado
          Tim Steurer
          4042 Bancroft Dr.
          El Dorado Hills, CA 95762-6933
          tsteurer@...

          Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Sutter, Tehama, Yuba
          Bruce Deuel
          18730 Live Oak Road
          Red Bluff, CA 96080
          bdeuel@...

          Contra Costa
          Steve Glover
          6526 Conestoga Lane
          Dublin CA 94568
          countylines@...

          Del Norte
          Alan D. Barron
          1093 Hwy 101 N. #18
          Crescent City, CA 95531
          flockfinder@...

          Fresno
          Gary W. Potter
          2183 Walton Ave
          Sanger, CA 93657
          gwpott@...

          Humboldt
          David Fix and Jude Claire Power
          P.O. Box 4331
          Arcata, CA 95518
          dfxjcp@...

          Kings
          Luke Cole
          561 Hill Street
          San Francisco, CA 94114
          luke@...

          Lake
          Jerry R. White
          P.O. Box 113
          Kelseyville, CA 95451
          grwhite@...

          Lassen
          Tim Manolis
          808 El Encino Way
          Sacramento, CA 95864
          ylightfoot@...

          Madera
          Jeff Davis
          30705 Pennyroyal Lane
          Prather, CA 93651
          jndavis@...

          Mariposa
          David Vander Pluym
          1683 Buena Vista St.
          Ventura, CA 93001
          SCRE@...

          Mendocino
          Bob Keiffer
          P. O. Box 354
          Hopland CA 95449
          rjkeiffer@...

          Merced and San Benito
          Kent Van Vuren
          26 Vista Dr.
          Salinas, CA 93907
          vanvurenk@...

          Mono
          Kristie Nelson
          P.O. Box 402
          Lee Vining, CA 93541
          storm_petrel@...

          Monterey
          Don Roberson
          282 Grove Acre
          Pacific Grove CA 93950
          831-373-2566fax
          creagrus@...

          Napa
          Murray Berner
          210 Monte Vista
          Napa, CA 94558
          (707) 224-5897
          vireocity@...

          Nevada
          Brian Williams
          8200 Turner Dr.
          Granite Bay, CA 95746
          bwcal@...

          Placer
          Ed Pandolfino
          5530 Del Rose Court
          Carmichael, CA 95608
          erpfromca@...

          Plumas & Sierra
          John "Mac" McCormick
          1230 Dog Leg Dr.
          Chico, CA 95928
          macmc94123@...

          Sacramento and Yolo
          Chris Conard
          2405 Rio Bravo Circle
          Sacramento, CA 95826
          chris.conard@...

          San Francisco (mainland)
          The City: Mark Eaton
          1524 36th Avenue
          San Francisco, CA 94122
          mweaton@...

          San Joaquin
          David G. Yee
          11707 N. Alpine Rd.
          Lodi, CA 95240
          davidyee@...

          San Mateo
          Peter J. Metropulos
          2940 Turk Blvd.
          San Francisco, CA 94118
          pjmetrop@...

          Santa Clara
          William G. Bousman
          321 Arlington Way
          Menlo Park CA 94025
          barlowi@...

          Santa Cruz
          David Suddjian
          801 Monterey Ave.
          Capitola, CA 95010
          DSUDDJIAN@...

          Shasta
          Bob Yutzy
          P. O. Box 990237
          Redding CA 96099
          boby@...

          Siskiyou
          Ray Ekstrom
          2209 Delphic Rd.
          Montague, CA 96064

          Solano
          Robin Leong
          336 Benson Ave.
          Vallejo, CA 94590-3027
          robin_leong@...

          Sonoma
          Ruth Rudesill
          P.O. Box 371
          Kenwood, CA 95452
          rar@...

          Stanislaus
          Jim Gain
          3300 Cardinal Flower Ave.
          Modesto, CA 95355
          phalarope@...

          Trinity
          John E. Hunter
          P.O. Box 4483
          Arcata, CA 95518
          jhunter323@...

          Tuolumne
          Steven Umland
          15818 Parkridge Ave.
          Sonora, CA 95370
          sumland@...

          We currently have no regional editors for Marin and
[...]

          submitting their reports by e-mail. PLEASE submit

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2006
            December 1, 2006

            Dear North American Birds Contributors,

            The fall season has already come to a close so please
            send your noteworthy records from the Middle Pacific
            Coast Region for the period 1 August- 30 November to
            the appropriate Subregional Editors (see below) or to
            the Regional Editors by 10 August.

            This fall season marks the retirement of Luke Cole as
            a Regional Editor. We are grateful to Luke for his
            years of service and will miss his knowledge and sense
            of humor. Thank you, Luke! Ed Pandolfino, after
            filling in for Luke over the summer, has agreed to
            take the thrashers-finches on permanently. Please note
            Ed’s address below.

[...]

            Records of waterfowl through quail and herons through
[...]

            conardc@...

            San Francisco (mainland)
            The City: Mark Eaton
            1524 36th Avenue
            San Francisco, CA 94122
            mweaton@...

            San Francisco (Farallons)
            Jim Tietz
            P.O. Box 751
            Arcata, CA, 95518
            jtietz@...

            San Joaquin
            David G. Yee
            11707 N. Alpine Rd.
            Lodi, CA 95240
            davidyee@...

            San Mateo
            Peter J. Metropulos
            2940 Turk Blvd.
            San Francisco, CA 94118
            pjmetrop@...

            Santa Clara
            William G. Bousman
            321 Arlington Way
            Menlo Park CA 94025
            barlowi@...

            Santa Cruz
            David Suddjian
            801 Monterey Ave.
            Capitola, CA 95010
            DSUDDJIAN@...

            Shasta
            Bob Yutzy
            P. O. Box 990237
            Redding CA 96099
            boby@...

            Siskiyou
            Ray Ekstrom
            2209 Delphic Rd.
            Montague, CA 96064

            Solano
            Robin Leong
            336 Benson Ave.
            Vallejo, CA 94590-3027
            robin_leong@...

            Sonoma
            Ruth Rudesill
            P.O. Box 371
            Kenwood, CA 95452
            rar@...

            Stanislaus
            Jim Gain
            3300 Cardinal Flower Ave.
            Modesto, CA 95355
            phalarope@...

            Trinity
            John E. Hunter
            P.O. Box 4483
            Arcata, CA 95518
            jhunter323@...

            Tulare
            Steven Summers
            2553 W. Michelle Ln.
            Porterville, CA 93257
            summers@...

            Tuolumne
            Steven Umland
            15818 Parkridge Ave.
            Sonora, CA 95370
            sumland@...

            We currently do not have a regional editor for Marin
            County. Records from this county should be sent
[...]

            Ed Pandolfino, Mike Rogers, Scott Terrill, and Steve