shank YES Sat. 9-8

  • dfxjcp@humboldt1.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2001
      >To: obol@...
      >From: dfxjcp@... (David Fix and Jude Claire Power)
      >Subject: shank YES Sat. 9-8
      >

      >The greenshank was seen today about 2:00 and again about 2:45 at the Mad
      River estuary w. of McKinleyville, CA. It spent some time in a narrow
      high-tide slough northeast of the river mouth, feeding alone, and then flew
      southward back into the heart of the estuary. It was not seen opposite
      School Road or from the Mad R. park side during the day up to the time Jude
      and I left. Some people came away disappointed today, while others saw it.

      >A Sharp-tailed Sandpiper was again reported, from the gravel bar just
      upstream from the end of Hiller Road, by one birder.

      >Fix

    • Adam Winer
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 8, 2001
        On Saturday, September 8, 2001, at 04:52 PM, dfxjcp@...
        wrote:

        >> The greenshank was seen today about 2:00 and again about 2:45 at
        >> the Mad
        > River estuary w. of McKinleyville, CA. It spent some time in a narrow
        > high-tide slough northeast of the river mouth, feeding alone, and
        > then flew
        > southward back into the heart of the estuary. It was not seen opposite
        > School Road or from the Mad R. park side during the day up to the
        > time Jude
        > and I left.

        However:
        At 7:45AM today, I saw the greenshank fly onto the east bank of the
        Mad River
        (the section accessed by trails off the end of Ocean Road.) It spent a
        few minutes feeding at very close range before flying off by itself
        to the
        north. I believe Steve Rovell saw it flying upstream past this area
        ca. 1/2 hour later. Directions have been given before, but I'll repeat:

        Just before the end of School Road, turn north on Ocean Road. Park
        at its intersection with Hiller. Walk north along the brief gravel
        portion of Ocean Road to its end, then continue on the wide dirt
        trail.
        A little past an intersection with another wide trail, turn left
        on a narrow, somewhat obscure dirt trail. Follow this to the bluff,
        then down a steep trail to the beach. From here, you can walk
        upstream (south).

        A major advantage of this location over the end of School Road
        (and the reason I was there at that hour) is that birding is
        possible even in the fog.

        Many thanks to David Fix for keeping all of us up to date on this bird!
        I'd never have gone after it if weren't for his e-mails.

        Good luck,
        Adam Winer
        San Mateo, CA