Re: [CALBIRDS] MTY updates

  • Don Roberson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 8 5:12 PM
      The web site address is http://montereybay.com/creagrus/MTY_2001.html
      Sorry for leaving that out.

      DR
    • Don Roberson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
        The "Monterey County highlight" page for 2004 has just been updated with
        a summary of the fabulous spring at Big Sur R. mouth and elsewhere by
        BSOL banders and birders like Rob Fowler. Many photos at
        http://montereybay.com/creagrus/MTY_2004.html

        I'd also like to mention that the Heermann's Gull colony on Roberts Lake
        [please note spelling; there is NO apostrophe in "Roberts Lake" and it
        is named for Dr. Roberts, so your proposed apostrophe, although wrong,
        would be in the wrong spot anyway] in Seaside was SUCCESSFUL again. On 3
        June, four nests had 2 youngsters each. Now, on my return from oversaes,
        I find nine juvenal birds have hatched from the colony, and they are out
        of the nests, learning to fly. So at least 9 babies hatched from a
        minimum of 9 nests (but it looks like half the nests failed; the
        successful ones had 2 each plus perhaps one had 3?).

        Don Roberson
        MTY county compiler
      • Mitchell Waite
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
          The advisory board I assembled is debating what colors to use for a key to
          identifying birds. There is a question about what colors people can identify
          easily. Some want to just use primary colors, others think we can include
          colors like rufous, olive, etc. To help settle the issue one of the
          ornithologists on the board suggested I put together a short color matching
          test.

          I would very much appreciate if anyone on this board would be willing to
          take the test. I will share results once I get enough answers. The test is
          anonymous, no names are recorded. Here is the link.

          http://www.percevia.com/ColorMatch.htm

          Thanks

          Mitch
        • Mitchell Waite
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 7, 2004
            George we set up a new test at

            http://www.percevia.com/ColorMatch2.htm

            That eliminates the problems in the first test.

            Mitch

            > Mitch,
            > I took the color matching survey. The color chips are gradated
            > from top to bottom on what appears to be saturation, however, to my
            > eye on my screen, there is also a variation in hue and purity. This
            > confounded the choices for me, particularly in the buff/gray/tan
            > ranges and the red/pink range.
            >
            > George Chaniot

            Mitchell Waite
            Mitch Waite Group
            160 C Donahue Street
            Suite 226
            Sausalito CA 94965
          • Don Roberson
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 16, 2006
              I have just updated the "Monterey County highlights" page with new
              photos of Crested Caracara in Carmel, and, thanks to Tim Amaral, the
              Painted Bunting at his feeder. As these species are of wider interest in
              the State, I've also posted this update to Calbird (something I don't
              normally do). The updated page is at
              http://montereybay.com/creagrus/MTY_2006.html

              Don Roberson
              MTY subregional NAB editor