MTY updates

  • Don Roberson
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 8, 2001
      The Monterey County 2001 highlights has just been updated with a trio of nice
      new pics of recent origin, with thanks to the photographers.

      D. Roberson
      Pacific Grove CA
    • Don Roberson
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 8, 2001
        The web site address is http://montereybay.com/creagrus/MTY_2001.html
        Sorry for leaving that out.

        DR
      • Don Roberson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
          The "Monterey County highlight" page for 2004 has just been updated with
          a summary of the fabulous spring at Big Sur R. mouth and elsewhere by
          BSOL banders and birders like Rob Fowler. Many photos at
          http://montereybay.com/creagrus/MTY_2004.html

          I'd also like to mention that the Heermann's Gull colony on Roberts Lake
          [please note spelling; there is NO apostrophe in "Roberts Lake" and it
          is named for Dr. Roberts, so your proposed apostrophe, although wrong,
          would be in the wrong spot anyway] in Seaside was SUCCESSFUL again. On 3
          June, four nests had 2 youngsters each. Now, on my return from oversaes,
          I find nine juvenal birds have hatched from the colony, and they are out
          of the nests, learning to fly. So at least 9 babies hatched from a
          minimum of 9 nests (but it looks like half the nests failed; the
          successful ones had 2 each plus perhaps one had 3?).

          Don Roberson
          MTY county compiler
        • Mitchell Waite
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2004
            The advisory board I assembled is debating what colors to use for a key to
            identifying birds. There is a question about what colors people can identify
            easily. Some want to just use primary colors, others think we can include
            colors like rufous, olive, etc. To help settle the issue one of the
            ornithologists on the board suggested I put together a short color matching
            test.

            I would very much appreciate if anyone on this board would be willing to
            take the test. I will share results once I get enough answers. The test is
            anonymous, no names are recorded. Here is the link.

            http://www.percevia.com/ColorMatch.htm

            Thanks

            Mitch
          • Mitchell Waite
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7, 2004
              George we set up a new test at

              http://www.percevia.com/ColorMatch2.htm

              That eliminates the problems in the first test.

              Mitch

              > Mitch,
              > I took the color matching survey. The color chips are gradated
              > from top to bottom on what appears to be saturation, however, to my
              > eye on my screen, there is also a variation in hue and purity. This
              > confounded the choices for me, particularly in the buff/gray/tan
              > ranges and the red/pink range.
              >
              > George Chaniot

              Mitchell Waite
              Mitch Waite Group
              160 C Donahue Street
              Suite 226
              Sausalito CA 94965
            • Don Roberson
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 16, 2006
                I have just updated the "Monterey County highlights" page with new
                photos of Crested Caracara in Carmel, and, thanks to Tim Amaral, the
                Painted Bunting at his feeder. As these species are of wider interest in
                the State, I've also posted this update to Calbird (something I don't
                normally do). The updated page is at
                http://montereybay.com/creagrus/MTY_2006.html

                Don Roberson
                MTY subregional NAB editor