Re: [CALBIRDS] Californian Mammals

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 10, 2003
      There are wild Pronghorns in the northeast corner. I saw one in March
      between Susanville and Alturas.

      At 05:36 PM 2003-07-10 -0400, k1mize@... wrote:
      >I don't know that there are any truly wild Pronghorn in the state (maybe
      >in the extreme northeast corner?),

      Good birding,

      Steve Sosensky, SoCal Bird Guides www.sosensky.com/guides/
      <mailto:steve@...> for general use
      <mailto:mobile@...> rare birds and emergencies only
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 818-508-4946 34.15645 N, 118.36715 W
      www.SoCalAudubon.org/socal/ www.SanFernandoValleyAudubon.org/sfvas/
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22 SMS: stevesosensky@...
    • Mark Paxton
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 10, 2003
        I replied to this off-board directly, but since two of you have now noted
        pronghorn may be found in the extreme northeastern corner of the state, I
        thought at least some of you might like to know that they are regularly
        present along Highway 25 in San Benito County. The locality where we have
        seen a small herd on many occasions is the section of highway just north of
        the Bitterwater-Tully School, and the turnoff to King City. Antelope also
        have been sighted in Monterey County, along the edges of the Salinas Valley.

        I second the vote on the elusive ringtail, but I believe his odds on his
        other target mammals are pretty good, as all of you have said. Badgers are
        where you find them, certainly. I've seen two in San Benito County, one
        carrying a ground squirrel apparently heading home to feed young.

        The other sighting is connected to one of my favorite stories. I was
        cycling up a long grade when I encountered a man lifting something heavy
        into the back of his pickup. It was an unconcious badger. I asked him what
        he was doing (obvious question, I think) and he explained that he'd hit it,
        and thought he'd take it home. I only wish I could have observed from a
        safe distance the adventures when the badger came to.
        Mark Paxton,
        San Benito County

      • Les Chibana
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 10, 2003
          At the risk of encouraging this off-topic item to continue:
          In the Santa Cruz Mtns., coyotes, bobcats and badger are present.
          Trying to find them when you want to is another thing. I've seen all
          of them near my home and during my frequent drives to the Santa
          Clara Valley. My sighting rates: coyotes - amost daily, bobcats -
          once a month, badgers - 3 times in 5 years. Red and Gray Fox are
          seen somewhere between the frequency of bobcat and badger.

          Similar to Mark Paxton's post, my wife and I stopped to tend to a
          badger that was hit by a car during one morning's commute. My
          wife was carrying it off the road when it stirred! It was stunned with
          no external signs of injury. We moved it to a safe place off the road
          and visited twice a day for 4 days. It gradually recovered and moved
          further and further from the road until it was gone on the last day.
          No sign of having been done in by a predator.

          I've heard, and seen a photo of, (re?)introduced pronghorn in the
          Diablo Range to the east of Mt. Hamilton which is east of San Jose.
          I've been there many times and have never seen them.

          I've heard rumors about black bears in the Santa Cruz Mtns. The only
          ringtails that I know about are in Cave Creek Canyon, Arizona. I've
          only seen beaver in Alaska.

          Les Chibana, Palo Alto CA

          On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 07:05 AM, pprecey wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Friends and I will be visiting California (from the UK) for 3 weeks
          > in September. No fixed plans as yet, other than flying in and out of
          > San Francisco, taking boat trips out of Monterey Bay and probably
          > visiting Yosemite and maybe Salton Sea.
          >
          > As well as birding, for which there seems to be plenty of site info,
          > we're also keen to catch up with some good mammals. Included on the
          > wish list are Bobcat, Black Bear, Coyote, Ringtail, Beaver and
          > particularly American Badger and Pronghorn.
          >
          > Does anyone have any good sites/stakeouts/general advice for any of
          > these (or anything else?)?
          >
          > Also, more generally, any other 'must see' birds/mammals or sites?
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Philip Precey
          > Derbyshire, UK

          > email to these addresses:

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • D. Heindel
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10, 2003
            Hi all,

            I have seen Ringtail in CA but not in many
            years. In my youth a lot of night road running
            for snakes and even mammal traps were set and
            I saw a few Ringtails. Some canyons in the
            Borrego area I seem to recall them at...
            Running roads late late late at night is the way.

            I've seen Badger here too, but they are far
            more common in AZ it seems to me. I recall one
            at Joshua Tree N.M. many years ago would wander
            into the restroom to hunt bugs that came into the
            lights, and we thought it drank water from the
            toilets.... The first time I saw it late at
            night by myself I FLEW out of the bathroom, and
            ran back to camp to get dad. That thing was
            bigger (and meaner - but I was young then) than me.

            Sorry I can't help with current advice on where
            to see them.... I've never seen a wild Mtn.Lion yet.
            Many of the nocturnal mammals are hard to pin down....
            Increases longevity.... Save bear at trash cans....
            At Yosemite, try sleeping with bacon in your bag :):)
            you should see some.....

            good luck,
            Mitch - Torrance, CA
            Mitch Heindel
            birdfish@...

            local, but also nocturnal and extremely secretive. I don't know of anyone
            who has seen one in the wild. I've never seen a Badger, either, and I've
            lived in California my whole life. Bobcats are fairly common, especially
            in wooded, hilly areas, but they're also secretive and hard to find. You'd
            have to be pretty lucky to stumble across one. The Santa Cruz mountains
            between San Francisco and Monterey are a good place to look. Yosemite is
            your best bet for Black Bear and Coyote, both of which are pretty easy to
            find there, especially if you spend a night or two, as the bears are more
            active in the evening. Beavers are fairly common in the Sacramento/San
            Joaquin Delta and in small creeks and streams nearly everywhere, although
            you are more likely to spot their dams and lodges than you are to see the
            animals themselves. I don't know that there are any truly wild Pronghorn
            in the state (maybe in the extreme northeast corner?), but there is a
            captive herd that can be seen from the road on Highway 42 between
            Interstate 5 and Highway 101, perhaps 30 minutes east of Paso Robles. Good
            luck and good birding/mammaling.

            > Kurt Mize
            > Stockton, California

            these addresses:

          • kmburton
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10, 2003
              OK, I feel I have license to share my own badger-car story.....Years ago
              (1987) I was working for the Forest Service on the San Joaquin Experimental
              Range in the foothills of Madera County and one night I dreamt that a badger
              (which I'd never seen before) got hit by a car on the entrance road. The
              next day, while I was in town shopping, one did! Now if only my dreams of
              seeing a cougar would come true...At any rate, badgers are common, if seldom
              seen, south of Yosemite along Highway 41 between Fresno and Coarsegold.

              Ken Burton
              Inverness