Re: [CALBIRDS] RFI: Birding sites for Yellow-billed Magpies

  • snorkler@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 9, 2003
      An alternative to Mines Road is the Sunol-Ohlone Regional Wilderness. Go
      south on I-680 to the Calaveras Road/highway 84 west exit. Go left on
      Calaveras Rd and left on Geary Rd into trhe park. Parking and road
      traffic are far better than on Mines Rd., not to mention the difficulty
      of finding Mines Rd. if you're from Kansas. It's debatably closer to
      Pleasanton than LIvermore/Mines Rd. are, and if you go westbound on
      highway 84, you'll also come into Niles Canyon, which is a good birding
      area. Mines road is primarily "car" birding. Sunol-Ohlone is "walking"
      birding. If you need Lawrence's Goldfinch or Phainopepla, try Mines
      Road. If you need Californa oak woodland species like Chestnut-backed
      Chickadee, California Towhee, and Yellow-billed Magpie, I'd concentrate
      on Sunol-Ohlone.

      Darrell Lee
      Alameda, CA
      snorkler@...

      On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 19:58:46 -0700 (PDT) Ralph Pike
      <SHARPSHINNEDHAWK@...> writes:
      > I am flying in to Oakland on Sunday, July 13 and will be staying in
      > Pleasanton until Wednesday, July 16. I plan to bird Sunday
      > afternoon and evening. I may bird some on Monday and Tuesday
      > depending on how much work interfers. One bird I would really like
      > to see is a Yellow-billed Magpie. Where should I go to see them?
      > Also where else would be good places to bird given I will be based
      > in Pleasanton?
      >
      > Thanks in advance for your help.
      >

      > Ralph Pike
      > Overland Park, Kansas