RFI: Birding sites for Yellow-billed Magpies

  • Ralph Pike
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2003
      I am flying in to Oakland on Sunday, July 13 and will be staying in Pleasanton until Wednesday, July 16. I plan to bird Sunday afternoon and evening. I may bird some on Monday and Tuesday depending on how much work interfers. One bird I would really like to see is a Yellow-billed Magpie. Where should I go to see them? Also where else would be good places to bird given I will be based in Pleasanton?

      Thanks in advance for your help.

      Ralph Pike
      Overland Park, Kansas
      sharpshinnedhawk@...

    • kmburton
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2003
        Ralph,

        The north end of Mines Road, just southeast of Livermore, is excellent for
        magpies. Continuing out that and connecting roads will offer excellent
        general birding.

        Ken Burton
        Inverness

        > I am flying in to Oakland on Sunday, July 13 and will be staying in
        Pleasanton until Wednesday, July 16. I plan to bird Sunday afternoon and
        evening. I may bird some on Monday and Tuesday depending on how much work
        interfers. One bird I would really like to see is a Yellow-billed Magpie.
        Where should I go to see them? Also where else would be good places to bird
        given I will be based in Pleasanton?

        > Thanks in advance for your help.
        >

        > Ralph Pike
        > Overland Park, Kansas
        > sharpshinnedhawk@...

        these addresses:

      • snorkler@juno.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 9, 2003
          An alternative to Mines Road is the Sunol-Ohlone Regional Wilderness. Go
          south on I-680 to the Calaveras Road/highway 84 west exit. Go left on
          Calaveras Rd and left on Geary Rd into trhe park. Parking and road
          traffic are far better than on Mines Rd., not to mention the difficulty
          of finding Mines Rd. if you're from Kansas. It's debatably closer to
          Pleasanton than LIvermore/Mines Rd. are, and if you go westbound on
          highway 84, you'll also come into Niles Canyon, which is a good birding
          area. Mines road is primarily "car" birding. Sunol-Ohlone is "walking"
          birding. If you need Lawrence's Goldfinch or Phainopepla, try Mines
          Road. If you need Californa oak woodland species like Chestnut-backed
          Chickadee, California Towhee, and Yellow-billed Magpie, I'd concentrate
          on Sunol-Ohlone.

          Darrell Lee
          Alameda, CA
          snorkler@...

          On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 19:58:46 -0700 (PDT) Ralph Pike
          <SHARPSHINNEDHAWK@...> writes:
          > I am flying in to Oakland on Sunday, July 13 and will be staying in
          > Pleasanton until Wednesday, July 16. I plan to bird Sunday
          > afternoon and evening. I may bird some on Monday and Tuesday
          > depending on how much work interfers. One bird I would really like
          > to see is a Yellow-billed Magpie. Where should I go to see them?
          > Also where else would be good places to bird given I will be based
          > in Pleasanton?
          >
          > Thanks in advance for your help.
          >

          > Ralph Pike
          > Overland Park, Kansas