Re: three-toed woodpecker at Big Hill Lookout

  • Chris Conard
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2003
      7/6/03 El Dorado County

      Please excuse the multiple posts.

      The Three-toed Woodpecker reported yesterday (see John Trochet's message below) was not refound this morning before 9:00 a.m. when I left. There is a lot of country out there, so it would be easy to miss.

      If you are going to give it a try, I would suggest walking the fire roads below the location described in addition to walking the main roadside. These can be accessed at the first turn below the parking area described by John Trochet.

      There are Hairy Woodpeckers in the area, so be careful when looking at juvenile birds of this species. Sibley notes that Hairy Woodpeckers can show yellow feathers on the front of the crown. Of the typical birds from this area, best were several Mountain Bluebirds and a Common Nighthawk. Finding a horned lizard on a brief stop in Cameron Park was the highlight of my day, however.

      Chris Conard
      Sacramento