summer oddities

  • Bruce Deuel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2003
      Hi all,
      Yesterday, July 1, Tim Manolis and I found a breeding plumaged adult Common Loon in Modoc Co., on the Willow Creek Ranch (MP 25-27, Crowder Flat Road) in the middle of the Modoc Plateau. It was in a channelized creek about 6 feet wide, quite possibly unable to get out of same. I did not see it in this location a week earlier.

      Today, about 0700 I heard then saw a Caspian Tern flying north over the western edge of Red Bluff, Tehama Co. Both these sightings are very unusual for the date and location.
      Cheers,
      Bruce Deuel
      Redding/Red Bluff