Access to Piper Slough/Owners rights

  • sgloverccc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 8, 2001
      Hello all,
      This may be slightly off topic so I apologize ahead of time if it is. This
      morning I visited Piper Slough at the north end of Bethel Island in Contra
      Costa County, a pretty well-known site for Bay Area birders who are searching
      for Blue Grosbeak, Yellow-breasted Chat, Black-chinned Hummingbird, etc.
      This morning I was told by a man who says he is the landowner that I was on
      private property and that I would have to leave. He was extremely sarcastic
      though I have to admit I was as well. My understanding in the past was that
      these levees were public property even though the land behind the levee
      wasn't. We have been visiting the site for well over ten years and have
      talked with several different people claiming to the the landowner as well as
      workers from the city of Bethel Island and have never had a problem.
      Fishermen have always been kept out, I think primarily because they damage
      the rip-rap but perhaps also because they have apparently planted marijuana
      out there in the past.
      Anyway, I know this issue came up recently when the Smew was in nearby San
      Joaquin Co. I'm hoping someone can provide me with good answers as to public
      access to levees or direct me to who it would be most helpful to contact.
      In the meantime I suppose it would be best for birders not to enter the
      property until we can establish whether the landowner does indeed have the
      rights he claims to have.
      Perhaps it would be best to contact me privately and if there are no
      complaints about this post being too off-topic I will post the results if
      anyone is interested.
      Thanks in advance,
      Steve Glover
      Dublin
    • Steve Hampton
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 18, 2001
        Steve and others,
        Sorry if this has been answered (I was stuck in DC and am sifting thru 568 messages). In Yolo, most levees are publically owned but some are indeed privately owned (e.g., many around Conaway Ranch). Of course, someone may claim ownership when really a public easement exists.

        Steve Hampton, Ph.D.
        Resource Economist
        Office of Spill Prevention and Response
        California Dept of Fish and Game