Greenshank's lower 48 status

  • Birders2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2001
      Hi,

      One of the topics that birders had as they waited and/or observed the Common
      Greenshank at McKinleyville's Mad River overlook last weekend: Was this bird
      a lower 48 first? The answer to that question is a maybe.

      According to The AOU Checklist of North Americans Birds -- 7th edition
      reports:

      "Audubon's record from Sandy Key, near Cape Sable, Florida, is
      questionable."

      "a sight report for New York."

      As to the New York sighting, John Bull in Birds of New York State, reissue
      1985 by Cornell Press states:

      "HYPOTHETICAL: ...One was observed with Lesser Yellowlegs on the shore
      of Onondaga Lake, near Syracuse, Aug. 30, 1962 (Peakall and Propst, Kingbird
      1962, 12: 141). The former observer has had previous field experience with
      this species in Europe."

      However, in "Bull's Birds of New York State" Edited by Emanuel Levine (no
      known relation to me) 1998, Comstock Publishing Associates, does not report
      the above sighting or any sightings of the Common Greenshank. This book also
      has the official New York State list as of mid-1996, which does not include a
      Common Greenshank.

      So our California bird may not be "really" the very first, but it looks like
      it will be considered the first accepted record.

      If anyone has more information about the New York sighting as to how
      convincing the original sighting report is and why the sighting was later
      dropped, please post it.

      Great birding and find that next lifer,

      John (One of Birders2)
      John + Irma = 2, we are birders, too.

      John C. LeVine Birders2@... Los Angeles, CA

      "Whatever the reason for this particular bird's presence,
      I am delighted to have (it) sharing our bit of earth."
      From David Kline's "Scratching the Woodchuck - Nature on an Amish Farm"