Nesting Black-backed Woodpeckers

  • jonesbirds
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 23, 2003
      Hi Birders

      In Regards to a posting dated Fri. June 20,2003 by Richard C. Carlson
      (subject: Black-backed WP nest-rccarl). I would like to thank Richard
      very much for the "GREAT" Directions to this location, which can be
      found in his posting.

      Today 06/22/03 myself my wife and son went to Paige Meadows South of
      Tahoe City from Dixon to find the nesting Black-backed Woodpeckers,
      they were right were Richard said they would be. The young can still
      be heard in the nest. The Female was a little upset with us being in
      the area, so we only stayed for a few minutes before heading back to
      our vehicle.

      We knew it was going to be a good day, knowing right were to find the
      Woodpeckers, but before we got to the Woodpeckers my son found a Blue
      Grouse with 8 chicks scratching around the ground for food only 15
      feet from us. She didn't seam to care that we were there, so we
      watched here for a few minutes, then headed on our way. We were only
      in the area for about 30 minutes before the "Mosquito's" got the best
      of us. Other birds seen in the meadows were Steller's Jays, Fox
      Sparrow's, Blue Grosbeak's, Dark-eyed Junco's "Oregon", American
      Robin's and one Hermit Warbler.

      Good Birding

      Evan Jones
      Dixon, CA.
    • Guy McCaskie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 23, 2003
        BLUE GROSBEAK !!!!! Surely this establishes an altitudinal record for this
        species if correctly identified.

        Guy McCaskie
        954 Grove Avenue
        Imperial Beach, CA 91932
        TEL 619-423-7524

        > In Regards to a posting dated Fri. June 20,2003 by Richard C. Carlson
        > (subject: Black-backed WP nest-rccarl). I would like to thank Richard
        > very much for the "GREAT" Directions to this location, which can be
        > found in his posting.
        >
        > Today 06/22/03 myself my wife and son went to Paige Meadows South of
        > Tahoe City from Dixon to find the nesting Black-backed Woodpeckers,
        > they were right were Richard said they would be. The young can still
        > be heard in the nest. The Female was a little upset with us being in
        > the area, so we only stayed for a few minutes before heading back to
        > our vehicle.
        >
        > We knew it was going to be a good day, knowing right were to find the
        > Woodpeckers, but before we got to the Woodpeckers my son found a Blue
        > Grouse with 8 chicks scratching around the ground for food only 15
        > feet from us. She didn't seam to care that we were there, so we
        > watched here for a few minutes, then headed on our way. We were only
        > in the area for about 30 minutes before the "Mosquito's" got the best
        > of us. Other birds seen in the meadows were Steller's Jays, Fox
        > Sparrow's, Blue Grosbeak's, Dark-eyed Junco's "Oregon", American
        > Robin's and one Hermit Warbler.
        >
        > Good Birding
        >
        > Evan Jones
        > Dixon, CA.