Upper Newport Bay, 21 June 2003

  • Marcus C. England
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2003
      In what was my first real chance to get out birding outside of gnatcatcher
      habitat since coming to California three weeks ago, I visited Upper Newport
      Bay yesterday afternoon. Nice habitat, nice people to chat with, though I
      was a bit distressed by the amount of trash in the upper reaches of the bay.

      Below is an excerpt from my field notes for the day, taken on a Pocket PC
      and NOT reformatted for submission here. Remembering that I am new to the
      area, if there is anything anyone wants to point out to me that I should
      look for in the future, by all means, please let me know... I've got a lot
      to learn to get up to speed here. I just told Lee Jones this morning about
      an adult Yellow-crowned Night-Heron that flew over my car on PCH when I was
      leaving our office in Laguna Beach about two weeks ago and he about
      flipped... it didn't occur to me that that bird was a good sighting here.
      Wish I would have taken notes as I couldn't even say now where I saw it.

      -Marcus

      Marcus C. England
      Consulting Biologist | Chino, California

      Belize Birder Resources | On-line resources for birders visiting Belize
      http://www.belizebirds.com

      06/21/2003
      Upper Newport Bay

      1235h - 75°F, lt. W wind

      Great Blue Heron
      Black-crowned Night-Heron
      Forster's Tern - common
      Elegant Tern

      Common Yellowthoat
      Barn Swallow (common)
      Cliff Swallow (the most common swallow)
      Black Phoebe

      Snowy Egret
      Savanna Sparrow (Heard-common)
      Greater Yellowlegs
      Common Raven
      Rough-winged Swallow (common)
      Caspian Tern (common)

      1355
      2 Least Terns (more seen later, further up bay)
      On central mud flat: Approx. 100 terns, fairly even mix of Caspian,
      Forster's, Elegant
      3 Willets
      Black Skimmer

      Decent sized flock of White-throated Swifts (20+ birds) mixed with Cliff
      Swallows

      California Gull
      Western Gull

      1430
      Canyon area across from the large paved parking lot
      White-tailed Kite
      Am. Goldfinch
      Lesser Goldfinch
      California Gnatcatcher
      Cassin's Kingbird

      Red-shouldered Hawk

      Allen's Hummingbird

      Marsh Wren (heard-several more heard later)
      Stilt Sandpiper
      Black-bellied Plover (dozen or so)
      Short-billed Dowitcher (at least 50 seen in total throughout area)

      American Avocet (group of 2… 3 more seen later further up bay near road)
      Black-necked Stilt (single bird on far side of bay)

      Red-winged Blackbird
      Hooded Oriole (lone male singing near road)
      Spotted Towhee (lone male singing near road)