Black-backed WP nest

  • Richard Carlson
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2003
      We finally found this year's nest for the pair of Black-backed woodpeckers
      in Paige Meadows South of Tahoe City. The young can be heard "chirring" so
      they'll probably fledge soon.

      The Meadows are found by going S from Tahoe City on 89 about 2 miles to a
      rt. on Pine. Take the next right up the steep hill on Tahoe Park Heights to
      the multiple intersection at the top. Rt. on Big Pine then left on
      Silvertip to the end. Hike out the dirt rd past first intersection about
      200 yards. Go 50 yards past "No motor Vehicles" sign (marking entrance to
      the meadows) to second "No Motor Vehicles" sign. The nest is 10 yards to
      the north in surprisingly thin, dead lodgepole with nest hole about 20 feet
      up facing NW on freshly scraped area. Perfect viewing in great light in
      afternoon.

      Tahoe birding otherwise kind of slow. Late Spring????

      Richard C. Carlson
      Full Time Birder, Biker & Rotary Bureaucrat
      Part-time Economist
      Palo Alto & Lake Tahoe, CA & Tucson, AZ
      rccarl@...
      Palo Alto: 650-949-9590