shank YES Fri 9-7

  • dfxjcp@humboldt1.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2001
      >To: obol@...
      >From: dfxjcp@... (David Fix and Jude Claire Power)
      >Subject: shank YES Fri 9-7
      >

      >After an hour of search this morning at 0900 I relocated the Common
      Greenshank found by Ken Irwin on 8-27.

      >The bird was not seen from the end of School Rd. or from the county park
      side, but by driving north from the end of School on Ocean Drive 0.6 mi.,
      ducking into a patch of scrubby spruce woods 150' north, taking the trail
      northwestward to the first bluff overlook (room for just one scope!) and
      looking southwestward down into the lower river. The shank was with some
      big legs, a Ruff, and a mess of Sanderthings.

      >While it is useful to look for the mild grayish-green legs of this big, it
      also pays to scan across yellowlegs for birds with scaly-edged brownish
      upperparts. Also, should you hear a bunch of yellowlegs calling in flight,
      check them for a bird with a great amount of dowitcher-like white up the back.

      >Jean Richmond from Contra Costa told me this morning at School Road that
      the bird was seen by two parties yesterday.