South Polar Skua from San Clemente Island

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2003
      Birders

      Eric Kershner, Isabelle Robichaud and I found a dark morph adult South Polar
      Skua off West Cove Point this evening, 17 June. Eric found the bird bathing
      on the water just off the kelp line. It then lifted off the water and flew out
      to sea, but managed to provide us with good enough views in flight to
      determine that the bird was molting its inner primaries. This is only the second
      record for San Clemente Island, the other from September 2002. Other seabirds
      noted were several Pink-footed and Sooty Shearwaters.

      Other birds of note lately on SCI are Black-necked Stilt, Rose-breasted
      Grosbeak and a leucistic juvenile female American Kestrel.

      thanks

      Brian L. Sullivan
      San Clemente Loggerhead Shrike Recovery Project
      PRBO Conservation Science
      2515 Camino del Rio South
      Suite 334
      San Diego, CA