Grace's Warbler at Buckhorn Flat CG, LA

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2003
      Hi LACo and CalBirders,

      This morning at 1030, Jon Feenstra reported that he had seen a Grace's
      Warbler at Buckhorn Flat Campground in the San Gabriel Mts. in LA County.
      Jon had the bird from 0830 to 0900 along the road to Burkhart Trail at the
      lower end of the campground, and followed it back up the road until it
      disappeared.

      I arrived at about 1300, parked at the Burkhart Trail parking lot and
      worked uphill. Just after 1400 I got a brief look at the Grace's as it flew
      between pine trees where the road to the trailhead crosses the creek. It
      started singing and sang continuously until 1415, though it was pretty far
      upstream in a gully guarded by lots of buckthorn. I never got another look.
      Eric and Ann Brooks arrived as I was leaving. I don't know if they refound
      the Grace's.

      Directions to Buckhorn Flat CG on Angeles Crest Hwy. (SR-2) at mile 58.1,
      is in the SoCal ABA Guide on page 220. To reach the trailhead, follow the
      signs marked "Trail" when you reach the campground.

      Good birding,

      Steve Sosensky, SoCal Bird Guides www.sosensky.com/guides/
      <mailto:steve@...> for general use
      <mailto:mobile@...> rare birds and emergencies only
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 818-508-4946 34.15645 N, 118.36715 W
      www.SoCalAudubon.org/socal/ www.SanFernandoValleyAudubon.org/sfvas/
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22 SMS: stevesosensky@...