San Clemente Island migrants

  • HeraldPetrel@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2003
      Birders

      Even with the dismal weather of late, we've had some interesting birds show
      up on San Clemente Island. The first Lesser Nighthawk for the island was found
      24 May on China Beach. On 26 May, a dead Ovenbird was found, apparently a
      wire kill, and this year's second Magnolia Warbler was in Burns Canyon. On 27
      May, a Yellow-throated Vireo was in Burns Canyon, another island first, and a
      White-winged Dove (rare in spring) was in Cave Canyon. At least two Eastern
      Kingbirds are present on the island as of 5 June. On 8 June a Clark's Grebe
      turned up in West Cove along with a second-year male Rose-breasted Grosbeak in
      China Canyon.

      Good birding

      Brian L. Sullivan
      San Clemente Loggerhead Shrike Recovery Project
      PRBO Conservation Science
      2515 Camino del Rio South
      Suite 334
      San Diego, CA