White-rumped Sandpiper at Bolsa Chica ORA

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2003
      Hi Calbirders,

      At about 3:45 PM, Brian Daniels and Leo Ohtsuki reported a White-rumped
      Sandpiper at Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve to the SoCal birdbox. The bird
      was in the fenced-in area at the north end of the boardwalk that crosses
      the estuary from the parking lot.

      Jim Abernathy and I arrived just before 7 PM, and found the WRSA fairly
      quickly. It was on the far side of the impoundment on a mud flat with
      several Semipalmated Plovers, a Snowy Plover, a Western Sandpiper, and an
      alternate plumaged female Red Phalarope. We watched, photographed, and
      video taped the bird until it flew off with the other birds, just before
      sunset. As the mixed flock seemed to be sticking together and may only have
      gone to a nighttime roost, it is probably worth checking for the WRSA
      tomorrow. If you go and the bird is in the same place as today, you will
      definitely need a scope.

      The WRSA is an alternate plumaged adult, and easily separated from the
      smaller Western Sandpiper by its longer (Baird's Sandpiper-like) body, long
      straight bill, and long legs. The crown shows some rufous, the supercillium
      was pale but not clean, and the flanks were streaked. Mantle was
      rufous/brown with one pair of pale braces. The primaries clearly extended
      beyond the tail. The bird flicked its wings once while I was taping, and
      again a bit later. I have not checked the video yet to see if the white
      rump was caught on tape, but I did see it the second time. The bib, while
      mostly black streaks on white, did show some buff. The area between the bib
      and the wrist of the folded wing was streaked, but mostly white. These two
      characteristics, along with the amount of rufous on the crown, may indicate
      a first year bird undergoing the end of a late molt. Sibley says that
      alternate plumage runs from April through August.

      For those who don't know, Bolsa Chica is on Pacific Coast Hwy. southeast of
      Warner Ave. in Huntington Beach.

      Good birding,

      Steve Sosensky, SoCal Bird Guides www.sosensky.com/guides/
      <mailto:steve@...> for general use
      <mailto:mobile@...> rare birds and emergencies only
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 818-508-4946 34.15645 N, 118.36715 W
      www.SoCalAudubon.org/socal/ www.SanFernandoValleyAudubon.org/sfvas/
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22 SMS: stevesosensky@...