Re: [CALBIRDS] mystery bird

  • Keith Kaste
    Message 1 of 8 , May 20, 2003
      Thanks so much for all the responses! I learned a lot. The overwhelming
      response is that my mystery bird is a Red-brested Nuthatch. Listening to
      the recordings on the Net I would have to agree. My "Local Birds" folding
      guide does not list this nuthatch. I saw a picture of it in my copy of The
      Sibley Guide. I'll be looking for it out there in the wild.
      I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and I'm still here. I've
      heard a lot of these bird calls all my life and have wondered who they are.
      I learned the obvious ones, but lately I've gotten into the more esoteric.
      The Red-breasted Nuthatch falls into that category for me.
      I hope I'm within the bounds of this list for posting an occasional
      "mystery bird" for identification by you experts. It certainly spurs my
      enthusiasm for this new hobby of mine. I'm blown away that I can capture a
      bird call on my digital recorder and upload it to the Internet where a
      group of experts is willing to tell me who that is sitting in my tree. The
      wonders of technology!
      Thanks again,
      Keith