Black-backed/White Wagtail in Inyo

  • Chris Howard
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2003
      This morning (10 May) we found and photographed a Black-backed/White
      Wagtail at Deep Springs College, Inyo County. Photos will be posted
      at http://esaudubon.org/birds/photos/wagtail5_03

      The College is private property and any birder venturing to see this
      bird needs to exercise good birding etiquette. Deep Springs College
      is located 45 minutes east of Big Pine off Highway 168. Park outside
      the cattle guard entrance to the College on the left and off the
      road, since the rancher uses the road as a runway for his plane.
      Walk across the cattle guard and turn left. Walk the perimeter of
      the dry alfalfa field to a large willow grove, that will then be on
      your left, containing two dry ponds. Pass the dry ponds on the right
      side and continue to a large cattle feedlot surrounded by an electric
      fence. The wagtail was in the weeds on the far side of the metal
      troughs. Please be respectful of the college staff and students by
      staying away from the buildings.

      Good birding,
      Chris Howard and Rosie Beach
      Bishop, CA