Rodriguez Canyon

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9 3:10 PM
      Hi, all!

      I normally don't report on my burn surveys, but this one was too good to let
      go! Rodriguez Canyon is one of our control routes, and it also happens to be
      the road I almost stranded myself and Jip on last year when the AAA map said
      it went all the way through and I believed them...

      Despite Lauren Nancarrow's forecast for temps in the 80s today in the desert,
      I had my down jacket and gloves on the whole time! The nasty gray clouds
      were coming down low over the mountains, and that wind coming down the canyon
      was FRIGID! But it didn't stop the migrants any: tons of Wilson's Warblers
      and good numbers of Western Tanagers (either that, or the same group of four
      birds kept leap-frogging with me...), and more Mac Warblers than I think I've
      ever had on one outing (I THINK I've got that call note down now!)! A few
      Orangecrowns, Yellows, Townsend's, and one each of Butterbutt, Hermit, and
      Black-throated Gray rounded out the warbler lineup. But the most unusual
      thing was a flock of birds flying over that I thought at first were waxwings:
      they turned out to be shorebirds of some type! I'm assuming Western Sands at
      this point cuz they were small and white-breasted... Although I supposed
      they could have been phalaropes, too--didn't think of that.

      Up in the canyon where it becomes impassable for a car, I had a first for San
      Diego County: three species of towhees all singing at once! Yup: had a
      Green-tailed Towhee song-battling in the same bush as a Spotted, with a
      California singing up the road! Also up the road were strange rumbling
      noises, followed by two dogs, followed by two guys who apparently were in the
      process of making the same mistake *I* did last year and were trying to come
      down the opposite direction! (They had a big ol' SUV and didn't even make it
      as far as Jip did!) Needless to say they were happy to be warned before they
      got stuck themselves...

      But past that spot was yet another surprise: after several Pacific-slope
      Flycatchers had shown up, suddenly there was one who was dipping his tail
      DOWN: a Gray! But I must say he was the greenest Gray I had ever seen: he
      was dull greenish all over with a dull yellowish wash on the belly, and no
      real contrasts anywhere else; the eyering was very dull as were the wingbars,
      and he had a pale base to the lower mandible. His call was a dull "pit", but
      had it not been for that tail-dip, I wouldn't have been sure of what I had!
      Up in this area also had several Scott's Orioles singing, plus yet another
      Green-tailed Towhee! I was also surprised to have a two each of
      White-crowned and Golden-crowned Sparrows still hanging around; heard the
      latter singing a song just like on the Stokes CD!

      Went home via Ocotillo, where a new county bird for me flew across the road:
      Eurasian Collared Dove! (Although I suppose I shouldn't be too happy about
      that, even though it was inevitible...). Bird List:

      Mountain Quail Oreortyx pictus
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      Western Sandpiper??? Calidris mauri
      Eurasian Collared-Dove Streptopelia decaocto
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Costa's Hummingbird Calypte costae
      Rufous Hummingbird Selasphorus rufus
      Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris
      Western Wood-Pewee Contopus sordidulus
      Hammond's Flycatcher Empidonax hammondii
      Gray Flycatcher Empidonax wrightii
      Pacific-slope Flycatcher Empidonax difficilis
      Ash-throated Flycatcher Myiarchus cinerascens
      Western Kingbird Tyrannus verticalis
      Phainopepla Phainopepla nitens
      Rock Wren Salpinctes obsoletus
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Western Bluebird Sialia mexicana
      Swainson's Thrush Catharus ustulatus
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      Blue-gray Gnatcatcher Polioptila caerulea
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      House Sparrow Passer domesticus
      Warbling Vireo Vireo gilvus
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria
      Lawrence's Goldfinch Carduelis lawrencei
      Orange-crowned Warbler Vermivora celata
      Yellow Warbler Dendroica petechia
      Black-throated Gray Warbler Dendroica nigrescens
      Townsend's Warbler Dendroica townsendi
      Hermit Warbler Dendroica occidentalis
      MacGillivray's Warbler Oporornis tolmiei
      Wilson's Warbler Wilsonia pusilla
      Western Tanager Piranga ludoviciana
      Green-tailed Towhee Pipilo chlorurus
      Spotted Towhee Pipilo maculatus
      California Towhee Pipilo crissalis
      Rufous-crowned Sparrow Aimophila ruficeps
      White-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys
      Golden-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia atricapilla
      Black-headed Grosbeak Pheucticus melanocephalus
      Lazuli Bunting Passerina amoena
      Scott's Oriole Icterus parisorum

      50 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe