Far North birds

  • vladimir
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2003
      Dear All,
      I'm back from a 3-day trip to NW California. I was mostly looking for
      small mammals and amphibians, but saw some interesting birds as well.
      There is a very large concentration of Lewis' woodpeckers along
      Klamath River downstream from I-5 crossing. I counted 17 birds on 20
      miles, most of them in pairs.
      The road to Fern Canyon in Redwood NP is now closed, but you can hike
      there (2 miles one way, with a few knee-deep stream crossings). In
      abscence of the crowds, the place is teeming with wildlife. I heard
      two spotted owls there (please note that tapes are not allowed in
      RNP), and saw a Pacific water shrew (rat-size creature I'd never seen
      before despite a lot of effort). There were lots of tailed frogs and
      Southern torrent salamanders in the stream. Look also for Pacific
      giant salamanders in ferns.
      Two marbled murrelets were heard over Hwy 101 just south from False
      Klamath Cove, and one more from Klamath River bridge on Hwy 101.
      A black bear with two cubs was grazing on Hwy 101 across the road
      from Lost Man Creek turnoff.
      Douglas-fir stands along Bald Hills Road near the eastern border of
      RNP had California tree voles and some hermit warblers at dawn.
      There is apparently a nesting pair of Northern Goshawks at Timbered
      Crater (N from McArthur in Shasta County). They were very disturbed
      by my visit, but I hade no time to look for the nest.
      Nothing unusual in Sacramento NWR, except for great vernal pool
      flowers.
      Vladimir Dinets
      Sta. Cruz Mts.
      www.hotcity.com/~vladimir